The Border Collie is the most intelligent dog breed in the world, making them the ideal working dog, or great member of the family.
Most Border Collies have incredibly long coats, and for owners that live in warmer climes, or even if you go hiking through the wilderness – it could be better for your Collie to keep parts of his fur-trimmed.
Don’t know where to start with trimming your four-legged-friend?
Let’s make it easier for you by running through our top five best dog clippers for border collie.
Whether your Border Collie spends his days herding sheep, or just performing tricks to impress your friends, he deserves to be a pampered pooch.
1. Wahl Professional Animal Deluxe U-Clip Pet Clipper and Grooming Kit
This WAHL corded pet clipper set comes with all of the accessories you could possibly need to give your Border Collie a new haircut!
With instructional DVD, and styling apron – you’ll feel like a pro dog groomer in no time, and hopefully, after a bit of practice, your dog will look as good as if he had been to the groomers too.
These clippers are not designed for getting through matted or incredibly thick hair, but for medium-duty upkeep.
Made in the USA, the clippers come with a limited two-year warranty for US residents only.
- Powerful at 7200 strokes per minute
- Comes with seven attachment guide combs
- Durable storage case to avoid dulling of blades
- Stainless steel scissors included
- Styling apron to keep you clean – well kind of, you’re clipping a Border Collie after all
- DVD included to show you how to use the clippers, and how to trim different types of dog
- Cleaning brush, blade oil, and instructions for keeping your clippers in tip-top condition
- More suited to home use than pro use
- Advertised as quiet motor, but quite loud
- Clipper vibrates a lot making it more difficult to get a clean cut
- Doesn’t work well for short-haired breeds
2. Sminiker Professional Low Noise Rechargeable Cordless Dog Clippers
This uber quiet cordless clipper is only slightly louder than the call of a garden bird! Ideal for more nervous pets who don’t like big noisy clippers anywhere near them.
Coming with four different sized combs, depending on what size cut you’re going for, with 3mm, 6mm, 9mm, and 12mm.
One of the best dog clippers for Border Collies as while these clippers do take a few hours to charge fully, they make up for it with their power.
Able to cut through even the thickest hair when fully charged.
Feel confident wielding these clippers even if you’ve never picked up a pair of clippers in your life, with an R shaped edge; it provides added security against accidentally pinching your dog’s skin.
Titanium blades are designed to stay rust free if cared for properly.
- Multiple guide combs for safe cutting any length of hair
- R shaped edge prevents accidental nicks to your dog’s skin
- Titanium blade combined with ceramic movable blade
- Ultra quiet motor
- Can not be disassembled for cleaning – must be cleaned fully intact with water or very mild washing liquid
- After use, the battery can become sluggish to charge
- Not all clippers are the same quality
3. Bojafa Dog Grooming Clippers
Forgot to charge these cordless clippers?
They also work while they’re plugged in.
These clippers are ideal for professional groomers, clip while charging your spare battery – and keep swapping over!
The titanium and ceramic blades are designed for and don’t heat up with continuous use.
A great option for show dog owners who need reliable clippers for show days.
These light-weight clippers can easily be thrown into your bag ready for emergency trims!
Suitable for multiple breeds, these clippers aren’t just some of the best clippers for Border Collie, you can use them on toy breeds such as the Chihuahua, and large breeds like the Hungarian Kuvasz.
With the four guide combs each offering a different length of clip, with 3mm, 6mm, 9mm, and 12mm available.
While many clippers boast that they’re quiet – these are genuinely incredibly quiet.
Perhaps the best we’ve seen so far in fact.
- Extra rechargeable battery included
- Stainless steel comb and scissors included
- Four comb attachments
- Low noise
- Titanium and ceramic blade combination
- Battery doesn’t always hold a charge when stored for long periods
4. CYrico 5-Speed Professional Pet Grooming Clippers
These amazing clippers not only charge pretty quickly at only three hours, but the charge lasts for a full four hours of continuous use without the blades becoming hot at all.
The multi-speed function, and four comb attachments at 3mm, 6mm, 9mm, and 12mm make this the best option for multi-pet and most of all multi-breed households!
The LED screen provides you with up to date battery life and also gives you a nice handy alert when the clippers need oiling.
Ideal for newbies to the dog grooming game, either professional or home groomers!
- Use cordless or while charging
- LED Screen
- Super quiet at 60 decibels
- Can be used for four hours of continuous use
- Great at getting through the thickest Collie coats
- Super sharp blades
- Blades stay cool for full battery life
- Perfect for multi-pet households as works on all coat types
- Some users complained that it wouldn’t cut through incredibly thick or matted hair
5. Andis EasyClip Pro-Animal Clipper Kit
The corded ANDIS Clipper is as easy to use as the cordless variety, with a 12 FT long cord, you get the power of a corded clipper with the mobility you would expect from cordless!
Perfect for Border Collie cross breeds with thick and curly hair, this cuts like butter when using without the comb attachments – if you dare!
These quiet clippers might make your dog fall asleep mid-clip.
It runs so smooth that even the worst home groomers can end up with perfectly polished pooches, with minimal vibrations it’s just about impossible to give your dog a bad haircut with these clippers.
The blades can get warm after some use, so you will need to have breaks, or switch out blades to avoid burning your pup’s skin.
- Quiet operation
- Smooth clipping
- Works just as well on smooth and curly coated dogs
- Comes with hard storage case
- Four x comb attachments
- Blade oil included in the kit
- Blade does get warm after a while
- Requires frequent re-oiling, sometimes during use for longer coated dogs
Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt – our winner is the Cyrico Heavy Duty 5-Speed Pro Grooming Clippers.
We really had to work to find even one minor fault with these clippers.
They cut well, they last a long time, they work for multiple breeds, and they’re easy to use.
What more could you want from your clippers?
Oh, how about an LED screen that would tell you how much charge you had left?
It has one of those.
And wouldn’t it be perfect if that same screen would let you know when you needed to oil them?
It does that too!