The German Shepherd is one of the best family dogs out there, with a friendly and sociable disposition.
This gentle giant is especially good with children and is usually a pleasure to train.
Given these traits, it’s unsurprising that the German Shepherd currently ranks as the second most popular breed by the American Kennel Club.
Looking after the GSD is quite straightforward, with minimal grooming and upkeep.
So without further ado, allow me to run through the top five best clippers for German Shepherd. One area that must be kept on top of is nail trimming.
Owners of this confident, courageous, and smart dog will tell you what a joy they are to own.
If you do your best to be a great owner to your German Shepherd, they will go above and beyond to be a great companion, guardian, and best friend to you!
1. Dog Nail Clippers Large Breed
These stainless steel nail clippers seem to be one of the best clippers for German Shepherds.
The sharp blade makes cutting through the nail a breeze, and with the quick safety sensor – you don’t have to worry about cutting too far and hurting your poor German Shepherd.
If your dog happens to be scared of the electric nail clippers, this could be the ideal option.
With the easy-grip handle, it saves so much time that you would have spent trying to get your dog’s nails perfectly positioned.
Cut through the nail with little pressure; they’re even suitable for older people with arthritis as they’re so easy to use for most dogs.
These nail clippers come in two sizes, with small breed nail clippers ideal for Yorkshire Terriers, Poodles, and even cats.
The medium-large size-wise are the best nail clippers for German Shepherds and other medium-to-large breeds such as the Rottweiler, or Golden Retriever.
- Safety guard
- Easy-grip handle
- Made From Sharp Stainless Steel
- Stress-free for anxious pets
- If your dog is especially good at trying to wiggle his way out of his nails clipped – it can be difficult to get his nails into the right position because of the safety guard.
- For especially hard nails these clippers can crush rather than cut the nail.
Why We Recommend: Ideal for nervous pets.
buy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UA74JXW
2. Safari Professional Stainless Steel Nail Trimmer for Dogs
These easy-grip, ergonomic nail clippers are easy to hold and VERY sharp.
The safety guard helps to show you where to cut, and the sturdy build of the clippers make for pretty quick clipping.
They feature lockable blades when not in use to avoid any mishaps with your dog, or kids getting into these very sharp clippers.
Many larger breeds such as the German Shepherd have incredibly thick nails, and usually require electric nail clippers, or trimmers to keep their paws in top health.
But with the Safari Professional Nail Trimmer, they work just as well as the electric variety, and suit nervous pets far better than the electric version usually!
Many owners with breeds such as the German Shepherd or Rhodesian Ridgeback struggle with how fast their dog’s nails grow.
Instead of having to spend a fortune on heading to the groomer so often, you can keep on top of their nails at home with these handy clippers.
- Stainless Steel
- Rubber coated easy-grip handles
- Lockable blades to prevent accidents
- Safety stop
- Sturdy build
- Will dull if not sharpened frequently
- Large size is too large for German Shepherds and can trim nails too short; the small-medium size works best for GSD’s
- Nail guard can come loose
- May not last too long for professional use
- Very noisy clippers that can put off already nervous dogs
Why We Recommend: Ideal for thick nails, very sharp blades
buy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002RJM8C
3. Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Pet Nail Grooming Tool
This electric nail trimmer is a high powered device with two different speeds for precise use.
Great for all sizes of dogs, from Chihuahuas to German Shepherds, and even Great Danes!
These cordless clippers are compatible with multiple-trimming accessories from the renowned Dremel company.
With three-hour battery life, and the option to buy additional battery packs, this could be the ideal option for the owner of multiple dogs, or for a professional dog groomer.
Many electric dog nail clippers catch at the nail due to the lack of power, this not only causes the nail to catch and trim unevenly – but it also causes pain to the dog.
This can result in a fear of having their nails trimmed which is not only a hassle – but poses a potential health risk due to excessively long claws.
- Cordless clippers
- Two speed for safe control while trimming nails
- Compatible with other Dremel sanding tools
- Three-hour battery life
- Removable battery pack for easy charging, ideal for professionals
- One of the fastest ways to pedicure your pooch
- 4.8 Volt power means that the trimmer doesn’t pull on the claw but provides a clean, smooth, pain-free finish
- For thick nails, the battery dies quickly
- Many users report problems with charging as the device gets older
- Be cautious if buying for use outside of the US as the charger isn’t compatible with all
Why We Recommend: Quick to use, with two speeds
buy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TU0XG4
4. Nail Grinder
This pocket-sized nail tool might just be the best clippers for German Shepherds; these clippers come in at just 50 decibels – to give you an idea of just how quiet that is, it’s slightly louder than a whisper and quieter than a running shower.
With so many noises including traffic, TV’s, dishwashers, and Vacuum cleaners that your dog hears on a daily basis, even the most noise-sensitive dogs should have no trouble with the FurryFido Pet Nail Grinder.
Coming with its very own carry case, and six additional sanding bands, you’ll be set for future trims, or for trimming your multi-pet household.
With different speed settings, this clipper will work for any sized dog or cat.
The size of this product is definitely one of its best features.
Ideal for keeping in the car, or if you frequent dog shows – an easy gadget to pop in the grooming bag for nail trimming emergencies!
- Comes with easy carry case
- Six sanding bands included
- Super compact – only six inches in length
- Battery-powered cordless device
- Anti-slip design for safe grip
- Incredibly quiet motor to help keep even the most sensitive dog calm
- Two forward and two reverse speeds at 7500, and 10,000 RPM
- Not strong enough for incredibly thick nails
- Battery power makes it quite expensive to run for more than infrequent use
- Works better as a file after clipping with ordinary nail clippers
Why We Recommend: Incredibly quiet and compact
buy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074FQWJTG
5. Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer By Boshel
These manual nail clippers feature a safety stop to ensure that owners don’t overcut their dog’s nails.
With free nail file hidden in the left handle of the clippers for neatening up the nails post trim!
Many veterinarians and groomers recommend the Boshel Dog Nail Clippers as the best dog clippers for german shepherds to owners to keep on top of their pooches nails at home.
Easy use, makes nail clipping stress free quick job for even the most nervous owners and dogs!
- Razor-sharp blades
- Ergonomically designed non-slip handles
- Safety button to lock the clippers to avoid accidents
- Comes with a nail file that hides inside the clippers
- The spring can give up and require manual help to open and close
- Many users misplace the nail which results in overcutting and pain to your pet – be very cautious to follow the instructions exactly
- If incorrectly places when used for dogs with especially tough nails as it can make them splinter rather than cut
buy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UJ2WLB0
Our top pick for nail clippers to suit your German Shepherd has to be the Omega Pet Nail Clippers.
These manual clippers are so easy to use, and quiet, that most dogs don’t even notice that they’re having their nails trimmed!
In fact, we heard about owners who would clip their dog’s nails while they slept with the Omega clippers
Save yourself some time and money instead of heading to the dog groomers, and save your hardwood floors from your German Shepherds giant claws and trim at home!