The Labradoodle is one of the most popular mixed breeds of the age, initially bred in Australia to create a breed suitable as a guide dog for those with allergies.
Not only did they prove themselves to be exceptional guide dogs, but many of you know how great a family dog they can be.
With a gregarious, fun-loving outlook on life, along with a great attitude towards work.
Many owners note how easy they are to crate train, and with that in mind, we’re going to look through the best crates for Labradoodle.
Many owners shy away from crate training, preferring to have free-range dogs.The size of your crate will depend on whether you own a Standard Labradoodle or Miniature Labradoodle and you should follow the manufacturer’s advice on picking the right crate size!
But in case of emergency vet visits, or needing to leave your dog with friends while you’re on holiday – it’s always a good idea to crate train, even if you’re not going to use that training often!
1. MidWest Life Stages 36″ Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crate
This sturdy double door dog crate makes our best crate for labradoodle list because this is one that will take you all the way from crate training to adulthood!
With double doors, your new puppy won’t be scared of going into the crate as it makes it far less claustrophobic than the single door variety!
As well as making it easier for you to find a spot in your home where it won’t get in the way.
Once your pup has become accustomed to the crate, and you start to leave him inside of it for short periods, you can attach the free removable divider to give him the perfect amount of space to be cozy.
Research also shows that when potty training, using a smaller sized crate works wonder as your Labradoodle won’t want to go where he sleeps.
Therefore, the divider makes a great addition to those that foster or rescue older dogs who have yet to learn where to go potty!
- Double latch doors
- Two doors for increased positioning possibilities
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Leakproof plastic tray for easy cleaning
- Rubber roller feet to save your hardwood floors
- Divider panel included
- Fold flat
- Easy assembly
- Thin metal wiring can be unsafe for more active dogs that chew at their crates
- Gaps around plastic mean that depending on the size of your dog’s paws, they could get caught
- Doors can warp over time making it difficult to close latches
Why We Recommend: This dog crate has rubber roller feet will save your floors!
2. Petmate Sky Kennel Portable Dog Crate
This great looking crate is made right here in good ol’ USA, and while each airline has different standards for pet crates that are allowed on their flights, this one seemed to fit the requirements set by most airlines!
For such a sturdy product, the assembly is pretty quick and pain-free, the trickiest part is working out how to open the door!
But that’s probably a good thing because Fido will definitely stay put.
Even if you’re not traveling across the world, this is a good option for dogs who have yet to learn that the crate is a nice, calm place to be.
Many dogs when popped into fabric crates bite their way through the mesh windows.
With the Petmate Sky Kennel, the wire windows are bite-proof but still provide phenomenal ventilation.
It is important to note that while Petmate sells this product with plastic nuts and bolts – these are not airline compliant, and you will need to purchase your own metal nuts and bolts before heading to the airport – otherwise you’re almost guaranteed to be sent home.
- Made in the USA
- Meets most airlines requirements for in hold transit
- Wire windows – ventilation, stronger than mesh
- Rustproof wing-nuts for longer lifespan
- Pre-drilled zip tie door holes
- Easy assembly
- Solid structure
- Most airlines now require that you swap out the long-life plastic nuts and bolts for metal to comply with international air safety standards
- The door is confusing to open and should be figured out before ever placing your dog inside
Why We Recommend: This is the best dog crate for labradoodles for international travel!
3. AmazonBasics Double-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate
Not many crates come with added protection for little paws, but this one does! With mini dividers all the way around the edge at 1.4 CM intervals – it would be just about impossible for your pup to get his little feet caught in this crate!
The slide-out plastic tray is incredibly easy to get out, not like those that you have to fight and wiggle – which nobody wants to do with a dirty crate tray!
And with the double doors – cleaning is pretty easy without even having to remove the tray.
One of our top requirements for the best crate for a labradoodle is a removable dividing partition, and this AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate doesn’t disappoint.
- Double door for easier access
- Mini dividers around bottom edge as an added safety feature stops little paws from getting trapped
- Slide out wipe clean plastic tray
- Divider panel to allow puppies to grow into the whole crate
- Size can be smaller than stated
- Metal can warp over time especially if you have an exuberant Labradoodle
- If your dog really wants to escape, he can probably get out of this crate
Why We Recommend: This dog crate is super safe for little paws.
4. EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate
This super soft, and cozy dog crate is ideal for quiet Labradoodles who like to sleep in their very own little nest!
Only designed for indoor use, but with multiple color choices – it won’t look out of place no matter your style of decor.
The crate isn’t the lightest, but with handles on the crate itself, and with its very own carry bag that has ultra comfort handles, traveling with this crate is a breeze.
Elite Field offers a two-year warranty with all of their dog crates, so even if you have issues with your crate – they will usually provide replacement parts.
Watch out for hidden shipping costs though!
- Comes in multiple color choices to blend in with your home interior
- 600 Denier fabric
- Triple door access
- Comes with carry bag
- Free fleece bed included with every crate
- Pops up and folds down in a couple of minutes
- Steel tubing frame for durability
- Doors and windows are a thin mesh, pretty easy for rowdy pups to escape from
- While the frame is sturdy, the canvas crate can wear down pretty quickly if your dog does anything more than going in and laying down
Why We Recommend: This dog crate is more like a cozy little nest for your Labradoodle.
5. Merry Pet Large cage with crate cover
Our prettiest crate on the list, if you’re a house proud dog owner, this is likely going to be your top pick as the best crate for labradoodle!
This gorgeous metal crate features wooden paneling that covers the entire crate to not only mean that the crate will blend in more than your average dog crate, but you can also utilize this is additional storage, or as a coffee table.
And what dog wouldn’t love to be the social hub of your home!
Available in three sizes, small, medium, and large as well as two color options, white, and mahogany.
Even if these don’t fit your color scheme, the solid wood veneer is easy to customize. Either paint it a new color, or stencil a design of your choice for a one of a kind dog crate.
Ideal for smaller apartments with no spare room for a dog crate, why not throw out the coffee table and get this beauty to kill two birds with one stone?!
And did we mention that the metal crate interior has double doors?
- Comes in two colors
- Multipurpose – use this as your Labradoodle’s dog crate, and as a coffee table
- Easy slide-out plastic tray for quick cleaning
- Double doors
- Not as sturdy as a solid wood sideboard
- Takes longer to assemble than most at around 30mins
- Sizes run small
Why We Recommend: This dog crate Looks like something out of a Pottery Barn catalog.
Our stand out winner is the Merry Products Cage with Crate Cover Set, as I would be looking for a crate to stay in the home, and not travel – the aesthetic and multifunctional aspect is what really sold this to me.
Even though this might not be the toughest crate, my dogs are pretty chilled out, so this suits them down to the ground.
For Labradoodle owners who are planning on traveling, I would have to recommend the Petmate Sky Kennel.
I would definitely trust this sturdy crate to keep my pets safe, and comfortable during international travel.