The Great Pyrenees, also known as the Pyrenean Mountain Dog is one of the most docile, laid back, and fluffy dog breeds this side of the Mississippi!
They are incredibly well known due to their incredibly lovable and huggable appearance!
But with all of that fur, comes responsibility.
With a double coat, this helps them to keep cool in the summer, and warm in the winter but, only when their coat is properly maintained.
We’re going to take a look at the best dog clippers for the Great Pyrenees to help you prepare for a grooming overhaul, and to keep your pooches coat as healthy as can be!
Top 5 Best Dog Clippers for Great Pyrenees
Originally from the Pyrenees Mountains of Southern France and Northern Spain, they were bred to protect, and used as guardians for sheep and goats against wolves and other predators, in order to do this he would live with his flock 24/7.
1. Wahl Professional Animal Deluxe U-Clip Pet Clipper
The Wahl Professional Animal Deluxe U-Clip Pet Clipper comes with everything that you need to keep your Pyrenees looking in tip-top shape between visits to the groomer.
With an instructional DVD to take you through the finer points of becoming a whiz home groomer, seven-blade attachments for different areas of the body, a clipping apron to keep you from getting covered in hair, and a sturdy case to make sure that you don’t lose any parts between clips!
This isn’t the clipper for you if you’re looking for something to take care of all of your grooming at home, the clipper isn’t powerful enough to tame an unruly coat that hasn’t been properly maintained.
Rather, it’s ideal for keeping the face, paws, and other finer hair areas looking spick and span!
If you’re the proud owner of a multi-pooch household, you’ll be pleased to know that this clipping set will work on a number of straight coated breeds, but if you happen to own a curly pup – this isn’t the set for you.
- Seven attachment guide combs
- Comes with DVD to teach you how to properly use them
- Made in the USA
- Warranty for US residents
- Not ideal for trimming thick coats that haven’t been maintained
- Can vibrate heavily making it hard to get an even cut
- Doesn’t work with curly-coated breeds
2. Oster A5 Two-Speed Animal Grooming Clipper
This Oster lightweight clipper is easy to use, comes with ten blades so that you are able to safely and accurately clip your dog’s body, face, legs, and matted areas too.
With two different speed settings, they recommend that you use the slower setting (2100 spm) on finicky areas such as the face and around the feet, but when clipping the body – especially of longer coated breeds such as the Great Pyrenean – you should switch to the faster (2700 spm) setting.
The A5 clipper is housed in a protective anti-chew case, so you no longer have to worry about setting the clippers down for a minute and coming back to them having been destroyed.
Do remember, if you must leave the clippers unattended – always unplug them to avoid accidents.
These professional-grade clippers are not just for dogs, with cryogenically hardened blades, you can make use of these clippers on your other pets, including cats, and even goats!
- Lightweight for ease of use even when clipping multiple dogs
- High-torque clipper
- Works on all areas of the body, including matted hair
- Made in the USA
- One-year warranty
- Can get hot after extended use on thick coats
- Blades become dull easily
- International buyers have received foreign items with different voltage
- Screws on the item are known to come loose
- Require more frequent servicing than other clippers
3. Wahl Clipper Pet-Pro Pet Clipper Dog Grooming Kit
These clippers can be used for thick-coated dogs, cats, and even horses!
With snag-free blades they tout that your pet will be free from the pain of pulled hair that too many clippers seem to inflict on our poor little pets.
Comes with not only the clipper itself, but a blade guard, secure storage case, oil, a cleaning brush, scissors for neatening up sensitive area, a mirror, four guide combs, and a styling comb!
Only suited for use in the US due to voltage requirements, and comes with an awesome little bonus for the US residents that choose to purchase this item – it comes with not only a one, or two-year warranty – but a whopping five-year warranty!
Yes, you read that right, five whole years of warranty cover!
- No more pulled hair with these incredible snag-free blades
- Made in the USA
- Kit includes color guide combs to make it easy for you to choose your desired coat length
- Ergonomic design makes using these clippers a breeze
- Self-sharpening precision blades
- Can overheat after continuous use
- Some clippers come assembled “roughly” meaning that you have to take them apart, and reassemble yourself securely
- Used items are sometimes sent out for “new” orders
- Not the quietest clippers on the market
- Self-sharpening doesn’t leave blades sharp enough
4. Sminiker Low Noise Rechargeable Dog Clippers
These cordless clippers are ideal for those that are always on the go, or for dog showing pet parents.
They come with titanium blades to ensure rust-free use year after year, and not only that but their guide combs feature a neat R-shaped edge which helps to avoid the dreaded scrapes and cuts which can put your pet off of clipping for good.
If you happen to own a nervous Pyrenees dog, or foster rescue Pyreneans with unknown temperaments, you’ll love the super quiet motor on these clippers, at only fifty decibels these clippers are marginally louder than a bird singing in your backyard!
This clipper will work on your dog, or cat and comes with four combs attachments, one clipper, one rechargeable battery, one power adaptor, a cleaning brush, and a pair of scissors for the sensitive areas such as the eyes and around the mouth.
- R-Shaped edge to avoid accidental nicks and cuts
- Cordless with a rechargeable battery
- Ultra-quiet motor ideal for nervous pets
- Rustproof titanium blade
- Super lightweight and easy to use, even on the hard to get spots
- Blades can become dull quickly when used on thick coats
- Doesn’t come with in-depth instructions which make the first time use a tad tricky
- Some buyers have received plastic blades instead of the promised titanium ones
- Charging time is rather lengthy
- Not as powerful as electric clippers
5. Andis UltraEdge AGC2 Super 2-Speed Clipper
These professional-grade dog hair clippers are ideal for the thick and, double-coated dog breeds, making it one of the best dog clippers for Great Pyrenees Mountain Dogs.
With ceramic blades which are well known to stay cooler than their metal counterparts, this clipper should get through thicker coats without overheating.
Some owners have complained about faulty clippers becoming too hot to handle, but the majority have been praised for their ability to stay cool as a cucumber!
These clippers come in six colors and whilst they are a favorite among professional groomers and dog salons, they can be a great tool for the home if you’d rather avoid expensive grooming fees with your big white fluffball!
With an extra-long cable, it makes for easy maneuvering around this large breed, and while it is a little heavier than some – the additional power that you get makes it worthwhile.
One of the biggest downfalls of this clipper is the fact that it does not come with any additional gadgets or accessories, meaning that you must buy guide combs that are compatible with this model, other than that – it comes in as one of the best clippers for the Great Pyrenees that we’ve discovered!
- Two speed motor for high-performance clipping of all areas
- Shatterproof casing
- Available in eight colors
- Ceramic blades stay cool
- Detachable blades for easy cleaning
- Some defective clippers have been known to overheat
- Works well on straight hair but not so well on curly-haired breeds
- Heavier than many other clippers on the market
- Does not come with any additional guide combs
- Difficult to remove and fit new blades
Finding clippers that can cope with the thick coat of the Great Pyrenean has been tough, but our research has shown that no matter how much you plan to clip your Pyrenees, products do exist for the job!
Our winner for this challenge was the Andi’s UltraEdge Clipper!
If you’re looking to get through thick coats, or groom an unmaintained dog – this seemed to be the best option to get through all of that hair without pulling on your pooch.
For those just looking to maintain coats, or trim around the eyes, and feet – we’d have to recommend the Wahl Pro.