The Portuguese Water Dog is a loveable, curly-haired dog breed with a goofy yet loveable temperament ideal for families, reasonably well known, the Obama family famously owned this breed!
Hailing from the sunny Algarve region of Portugal, their most prominent physical attribute is likely their allergy-friendly low molting coat!
But even though this curly pooch doesn’t shed much, you still need to groom and clip them in order to keep them in tip-top condition.
We’re going to make your job easier by taking a look at the five best dog clippers for Portuguese Water Dogs!
Breeders and experts warn that if left, this dog breeds hair will grow indefinitely, so whilst they can be a low maintenance breed, they aren’t a no maintenance breed.
1. Andis ProClip AGC2 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper
This two-speed clipper has a very powerful motor that helps it to glide through even the thickest and curliest hair – which is what makes it one of the best clippers for Portuguese Waterdogs!
It is worth noting that while they do a great job of clipping, the motor does make them heat up warmer and quicker than other clippers on the market.
But, if you have a curly-haired breed, this is still a great option, so long as you perhaps purchase an instant cooling spray to use in conjunction.
The Portuguese Water Dog is a lovable, but we all know, goofy breed of dog – and if yours likes to wiggle around while you’re trying to clip, you don’t have to worry so much about losing grip of your clippers with the Andis ProClip!
These clippers come housed in a shatterproof casing that helps to protect against unexpected wiggles.
A great choice for newbie groomers as there’s little to get wrong, well I say that – but you do have to try and do a neat job!
- Works for dogs and cats
- Ideal for curly coated breeds
- Two-speed motor
- Shatterproof housing to avoid breakage when your pup is wiggling around
- Detachable blades for easy cleaning, and sharpening
- Faulty clippers have been known to overheat
- Requires oiling before, during, and after use
- Doesn’t cut as well once the guide combs are attached
- Heavier than many clippers
- Blades become blunt very easily
buy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018KVHBM
2. Glamorway Professional Pet Grooming Kit
This professional pet grooming kit from Glamorway is a very handy piece of kit, especially useful as a between groomers appointments to neaten up your dog’s coat, doesn’t work quite so well on dogs with thick coats that have been left untrimmed for a longer period of time.
The powerful motor and stainless steel and titanium combo blades make for a superior clipping experience, but the extra power from the motor does mean that this isn’t the quietest clipper out there.
Of course, this wouldn’t be a problem for most, but if you happen to have an especially nervous dog, or especially if you have a pet with a fear of clippers – this might not be the right choice for you.
Featuring a convenient charging light that lights up red when charging, and turns green once fully charged, although some owners have complained that the light doesn’t change to green or that the battery won’t charge to 100% even when left charging overnight.
- Use plugged in or on the go
- Powerful yet quiet motor
- Stainless steel and ceramic blades
- Long lifespan battery designed to recharge up to 500 times
- Comes with four guide combs
- Especially knotted hair will likely get caught
- Works far better without the guide combs
- Louder than some other clippers
- With extended use, it can become hot
- Won’t always charge fully
buy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015H5DO6E
3. CEENWES Pet Clippers
This mega clipping kit from Ceenwes comes with absolutely all of the accessories you could think of, not only will you get the dog clippers, but the required charger, and then all of the goodies you need for a professional-looking at-home grooming salon.
You will receive a cleaning brush, which you’ll likely need to use often during your clip, although this will almost definitely be the case for any clippers on Portuguese Water Dog hair!
Four comb attachments all in different sizes, from three to twelve millimeters, and as the PWD tends to get hotspots in the heat, now no matter what climate you happen to call home, you can keep your dog happy and healthy.
Two stainless steel pair of scissors which I must say weren’t really sharp enough.
One nail clipper kit, and nail file which I think is a great idea and all clipping kits should come with these!
As well as the necessary oil to keep the whole thing running smoothly, and a user manual so that you don’t accidentally give your dog a muller!
- Comes with an impressive eleven tools
- Charging indicator light
- Titanium and ceramic blades
- Very user-friendly
- The scissors in the kit aren’t very sharp
- Some owners have complained that they have received plastic blades
- The guide combs seem to be too safe and leave the hair too long
- If not done correctly your dog might have clip marks and not a smooth finish
- You will likely need to clean the blade a few times during clipping
buy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1MV9DR
4. PATPET professional 2-Speed Pet Grooming Clippers
This two-speed dog clipping set is easy to handle and lightweight making it a breeze to clip your Portuguese Water Dog, or other curly-haired breed.
One of my favorite features is the handy-dandy LED light to display the percentage level of charge that the clippers have.
I’m pretty sure that all of us, at least once in our lives, have been in that annoying situation of being mid clip on our pooch – and having the clippers battery die!
Now it might be funny to have a half-clipped dog running around your backyard, but let me tell you – it most certainly is not funny to have a half clipped dog has to go in the show ring.
OK, it’s a bit funny!
Not only is the LED display great for knowing the battery life, but the battery life itself is pretty impressive with a five-hour battery life when fully charged (which takes only three hours).
- Ergonomic design for comfortable use
- Adjustable ceramic and stainless steel blades
- LED light to display the level of charge the battery has left
- Five-hour battery life
- Requires some charge before use, a/c power isn’t enough
- May need blade sharpening before first use
- Not made from heavy-duty parts
- Depending on the length of your dog’s hair you may need to clean blade mid-trim
- Battery doesn’t always hold the charge well
buy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711SGPJ8
5. Best Trendy Clipper Kit
The Best Trendy Professional Cat and Dog Clippers come in an aesthetically pleasing gold and black design; they are lightweight making it easy for arthritic dog owners to keep their pooches looking good without having to spend a small fortune by sending them away to the groomers every couple of weeks!
One of the best dog clippers for Portuguese Water Dogs, the cordless design makes it easy to charge it up and take it with you anywhere.
Whether you’re going on vacation and wanting to keep your Portuguese Water Dog in tip-top shape, or heading off to a dog show, these clippers can handle it all.
Ideal for single pet households as the charging time of five hours leaves you with seventy minutes of constant use, so depending on your clipping skills, it’s better to err on the side of caution than end up with a half trimmed dog.
This set comes with four guide combs of varying lengths to keep your dog comfortable no matter what climate you happen to live in!
- Comes with eight useful tools
- Titanium and ceramic combo blade
- Low noise motor
- Use time of seventy minutes when fully charged
- Becomes less powerful over time
- Don’t always hold their charge
- The scissors that come in the kit aren’t very sharp
- Takes a very long time to charge
- Charger has a tendency to need replacing as dies before clippers
buy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBXQ568
After looking through as many clippers as we could, we decided that the winner was the Andis ProClip for its ability to get through the tediously thick and curly coat that most clippers don’t tend to do anything but glide over!
Even though these clippers do become warm, we still think that they’re a good choice for the home groomer that doesn’t want to or can’t send their dog to a professional dog grooming salon.
A simple solution to the heat problem is to buy an instant cooling spray and use this periodically during the clip, but of course, do make sure that your veterinarian approves it first!