Arthritis can be defined as the inflammation of joints. It occurs when there is wear and tear of cartilage which is found at the end of bones. Cartilage helps prevent friction between bones enhancing mobility. Glucosamine present in synovial fluids stimulates chondrocytes to produce cartilage.
As dog’s age, their ability to produce glucosamine is greatly reduced. This leads to wearing off of the cartilage over time causing bones to rub against each other. Arthritic changes found in affected dogs include joint pain and swelling, lameness, difficulty rising from rest, slow gait, etc.
Arthritis is incurable. Management is geared towards relieving symptoms and improving the quality of life of the dog. It should be carried forward all through the dog’s life. This includes the use of supplements, diet and medication. Below we discuss the top 5 best foods for dogs with arthritis.
1. Hill’s Science Diet Healthy Mobility Dry Dog Food for Joint Health
Hills Science Mobility is a dry food for adult large breeds of dogs. It’s made from chicken and rice recipes. It also contains fish oils, glucosamine, and chondroitin. It specifically formulated to aid in mobility. It comes highly recommended by veterinarians.
- It contains chondroitin which is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that helps to relieve pain in arthritic dogs. It also helps in the repair of cartilage.
- Glucosamine also contained in the food is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that helps to relieve joint pain and swelling. It works synergistically with chondroitin.
- Fish oils are high in Omega 3 essential fatty acids which help in reducing inflammation (pain and swelling). They also help to suppress the immune system which is beneficial in cases of rheumatoid arthritis.
- It’s also high in fiber which helps to reduce bowel problems such as indigestion, constipation, and diarrhea common with senior dogs.
- It contains essential vitamins which help promote healthy growth of skin, hair and nails.
- Improves mobility within 30 days
- It contains no artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
- Made from high-quality protein (lean muscle) which is easily digestible.
- Recommended by veterinarians.
- Only suitable for large dog breeds over 55 pounds.
- Has a strong smell
- Price is a bit on the higher side.
Hill’s Science Diet Healthy Mobility Dry Dog Food for Joint Health is recommended for large dog breeds with joint degenerative diseases such as arthritis and hip dysplasia. It is enriched with glucosamine and chondroitin which are natural anti-inflammatory at agents that help to relieve joint pain, stiffness, and swelling. They also help to maintain the integrity of cartilage, therefore, preventing progression of arthritic changes within the joints. It is easily digestible.
2. AvoDerm Natural Large Breed Dry Dog Food
Avoderm is a naturally formulated pressure cooked dog food specifically for both small and large breed senior dogs. It is packed with nutrients including 20 types of vitamins, minerals and Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids. It also contains chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine supplements. Avocados, a well-known superfood forms the key ingredient.
- It contains glucosamine which helps to protect cartilage from wear and tear preventing occurrence and progress of arthritis. It is also a natural anti-inflammatory agent which helps to relieve joint swelling, pain and stiffness common in joint degenerative diseases such as arthritis and hip dysplasia.
- Chorondtin sulfate works together with glucosamine to inhibit enzymes that cause decomposition of cartilage. It also assists in the speedy formation of new cartilage. This is essential in stopping the process of arthritis as well as its prevention.
- Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids present helps in lowering blood triglyceride levels a common cause of heart disease in senior dogs. They also contain anti-inflammatory which helps to relieve joint pain, stiffness, and swelling in cases of arthritis. It also promotes the growth of healthy hair and skin.
- Omega 6 fatty acids also have anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve joint stiffness, pain, and swelling in rheumatoid arthritis. Additionally, they help in the prevention of heart diseases, relieving nerve pain and bone health.
- It can be eaten by both small and large dog breeds.
- Can cause flatulence in some dogs
AvoDerm Natural Dog Food for Puppies, Senior, Small Breed and Large Breed is highly recommended for senior dogs suffering from arthritis as it contains chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine which are choice supplements essential for relieving joint pain and stiffness and swelling.
3. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
This is a dry dog food specifically designed for senior dogs. It is made from deboned turkey, potatoes and pumpkins. It contains glucosamine and chondroitin and also enriched with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is grain-free and contains no preservatives, flavorings, dairy, and eggs.
- It contains glucosamine, a natural anti-inflammatory agent that helps to joint pain, swelling, and stiffness. It also helps in the growth and repair of bone cartilage which helps to reduce friction within joints.
- Chondroitin acts synergistically with glucosamine in maintaining the integrity of bone cartilage by inhibiting enzymes that damage it. It is also an anti-inflammatory agent that helps to relieve joint pain and stiffness.
- It’s made from deboned turkey a form of lean protein which is easily digestible as senior dogs are prone to bowel problems. Protein is also essential for maintaining healthy muscles.
- It also contains pumpkins containing high fiber which help ease bowel problems. Pumpkins have low calorific content making it good for obese senior dogs.
- It is also packed with omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids which anti-inflammatory properties, helps to boost immunity as well as promote healthy skin and hair coat. They are also useful in the prevention of heart diseases by lowering blood triglyceride levels and increase high-density lipids.
- It also contains essential proteins and carbohydrates which are metabolized to produce energy.
- It also contains taurine which helps to promote heart health.
- May cause flatulence.
This Blue Buffalo dog food not only helps relieve arthritic symptoms but also promote healthy skin and hair coat as well as prevent heart disease. It easily digestible and provide essential vitamins, fatty acids, and amino acids.
4. Diamond Naturals SENIOR
Diamond Naturals Senior a dry food formulated specifically for senior dogs. It’s made from cage-free chicken providing high-quality protein, fruits, and vegetables for essential minerals and vitamins and probiotics. It also contains glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements. It’s free of corn and wheat.
- Glucosamine has natural anti-inflammatory properties which help to relieve arthritic symptoms such as joint pain, stiffness, and swelling.
- Chondroitin sulfate works together with glucosamine to promote healthy growth of cartilage by inhibiting enzymes that damage the cartilage. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which help to relieve symptoms of arthritis.
- It’s made from cage-free chicken high in protein that helps to maintain muscle tissue. It is also easily digestible and keeps your senior dog active and fit.
- It contains Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids that have anti-inflammatory properties as well as promote healthy growth of the skin and hair.
- It also contains antioxidants derived from vegetables and fruits that help prevent inflammation and protect tissue cells from injury from free radicals.
- It also contains highly digestible probiotics that promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut which enhances digestion.
- High in vitamin E and selenium promote healthy growth of skin, nails, and hair and also acts as antioxidants.
- It’s also high in fiber from pumpkin, chia seeds and coconut which helps prevent bowel problems such as constipation, diarrhea, and indigestion common with senior dogs.
- Suitable for hyperallergic dogs as its corn and wheat free.
- Should be introduced slowly in the diet to avoid stomach upsets.
Diamond Naturals Senior is a superfood packed with valuable vitamins and minerals that help promote joint and muscle health, bowel movement and boost immunity.
5. Instinct Raw Boost Senior
Instinct Raw Boost is a highly nutritious kibble made from raw dried ingredients. It’s rich in minerals, vitamins, glucosamine, chondroitin, essential fatty acids, antioxidants, lean protein, and probiotics. It is also gluten-free and grain-free. It’s formulated for senior dogs.
- It contains glucosamine which is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that helps to relieve joint pain, stiffness and swelling common in arthritis.
- Chondroitin sulfate works together with glucosamine to maintain the integrity of cartilage within the joints as well as promote new growth of cartilage.
- All ingredients are raw dried therefore maintaining their nutritional value.
- It’s made from lean protein which is easily digestible and helps maintain good muscle health.
- It contains Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids that help promote good health of the skin, nails, and fur. They also help decrease triglyceride blood levels which have been linked to heart diseases.
- Contain probiotics that promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut which aid in digestion.
- Suitable for dogs that are allergic to gluten or grains.
- Contain natural docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) which supports brain and nerve development.
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
- It contains vitamin C and E which act as antioxidants, boost immunity and promote healthy growth of the skin, hair, and nails.
- High in fiber which ad in bowel movement.
- It can be fed to both large and small breed senior dogs.
- The price is a bit on the higher side.
Instinct Raw Boost kibble food is highly nutritious with all ingredients raw dried to maintain nutritional value. It’s recommended for arthritic dogs due to the high amount of glucosamine and chondroitin contained. It also contains a variety of nutrients promoting the good general health of senior dogs.
Food recommended for arthritic dogs should contain valuable amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin which help reduce inflammation associated with arthritis as well as promote new growth of bone cartilage by inhibiting enzymes that damage the cartilage. Presence of essential fatty acids and antioxidants is an additional advantage since they also help fight inflammation, boost immunity, fight off skin infections and promote healthy growth of hair. The food should also be easily digestible by ensuring it contains high fiber content and lean proteins as senior dogs often have gastrointestinal problems. This will also help in preventing cases of obesity.
A new diet should be introduced slowly over time to allow time for the gut to adjust therefore preventing cases of constipation, indigestion and diarrhea. Providing such a kibble diet should however not replace the use of medication prescribed for arthritic dogs but be administered concurrently. Regular exercise is also encouraged to prevent muscle atrophy.