It can be painful for a dog owner to watch his or her dog hobble out of an SUV when that K-9 used to go barreling out before. Even for athletic dogs who are healthy weights and sizes, it can be quite annoying to constantly have to risk missing a hop to climb inside of the SUV. One flop down, and a dog owner may have to do some pretty serious treat bribing to get the dog to try again. That may not be the case if your dog can use one of the best dog ramps for SUVs.
Whether you want to test out a bi-fold, tri-fold or free-standing ramp, these seven options below can make the SUV-climbing experience much easier to do. Aging dogs, dogs with arthritis and dogs who have temporary injuries may also find stairs, beds, porches and even door stoops to be an impossible task.
These ramps, although designed for SUVs, can sometimes be used in other areas of your home and other types of vehicles (ex. vans). This is one of many reasons why finding a suitable ramp is important for your four-legged friend’s everyday living.
1. PetSafe Solvit UltraLite Bi-Fold Pet Ramp
The PetSafe ramp for SUVs is great for durability and portability, in addition to providing a quick way to set up and break apart.
- Weighs 10 lbs
- Can hold more than 150 lbs
- Textured surface (ex. skateboard)
- Safety release latch
- 62 inches long x 16 inches wide x 4 inches tall
- 4 rubber feet for stability
PetSafe brand has been around for more than 20 years, specializing in the best products for pet safety, including a dog ramp for cars and SUVs.
This pet ramp for SUVs is easy to set up and fold in half when done. The texture of it is hard enough to prevent slips while your dog walks and/or runs to climb inside of the SUV.
- Folds in half for easy carrying and storage
- Surface helps to avoid slips
- No accidental openings courtesy of safety release latch
- Easy clean-up
- All-plastic construction
Cleanup is also pretty simple for those rainy days when your dog tracks footprints onto the PetSafe ramp; detergent and or a hose does the trick.
2. Pet Gear Free Standing Ramp
With four models to choose from, this standing ramp can be used outside in your SUV or if you want your dog to climb into your bed.
- Supertrax version holds up to 200 pounds or 300 pounds
- Slip resistant version holds up to 300 pounds
- Carpeted version holds up to 350 pounds
- Rubberized bottom grippers for security
- Raised edges to prevent slipping
- Slip-resistant surface
- 55 inches long x 19.25 inches wide x 23 inches tall
In business since 1936, Pet Gear Inc. has a special interest in making safe and quality items for your dog.
While the supertrax, slip-resistant and carpeted versions all have perks (and weight requirements), all are built to create a safe trek for your dog into an SUV.
- Some ramps are easy to fold and carry
- Variety of options to match the dog’s weight
- Carpet tread is removable and washable
- High-contrast markings help guide your dog in the right direction
- The free-standing weight helps large dogs avoid excessive wobbling and bending
- Some ramps do not have a bi-fold or tri-fold for easy carrying (i.e., free-standing ramps)
With four options to choose from in standing ramps, the right choice may largely depend on your dog’s fluctuating weight or stability.
3. Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets
Dogs use their nails for extra grip to climb high surfaces. This poly-grass step ramp from Gen7Pets makes this climbing technique much easier to do.
- Wide walking path (72-inch long ramp)
- Soft rubber grip handle
- Automatic locking latch to secure ramp closed
- Maximum weight of 250 lbs
- 72 inches long x 16 inches wide x 1.5 inches tall
- 36 inches long x 16 inches wide x 3 inches thick (folded)
- Weighs 17 lbs
The soft-poly-grass texture of this step ramp makes it easier for a dog to feel like she’s walking on grass.
This will come in handy while the dog uses her nails to climb aboard your SUV and won’t scratch the dog’s paw pads.
With a handle like a suitcase, it can easily be pulled out and stored inside your SUV or inside closets at home.
- Poly-grass surface will not scratch paw pads
- Poly-grass will not scuff or scratch vehicle interior
- No accidental unfolding
- Easily stores in the back of the SUV
- Cannot be used for side doors
- Cannot be used near doors that don’t create 90-degree angles
Because the Gen7Pets ramp is long, you may want to practice in small sections with your dog to improve her confidence while walking on it from start to finish.
4. Solvit PetSafe Deluxe Extra-Long Telescoping Pet Ramp
This XL ramp gives dog owners and dogs the option of longer or shorter treks, depending on the size of the car and the dog. The ramp can go from 47 inches to 87 inches long, and is the best dog ramp for larger vehicles—especially those that require an extra hop to get inside.
- Weighs 18 lbs
- 4 rubber feet to keep the ramp stable
- Holds up to 300 lbs
- Textured surface to prevent slipping
- 47 to 87 inches long x 20 inches wide x 4 inches tall
- Aluminum and plastic design
This ramp may come in handy for using with multiple cars. Whether the dog needs as much as 87 inches of walking space or as little as 47 inches, this compact ramp is lightweight and can support large dogs.
- Easy to pick up and transport
- Adjustable length
- Easy to clean (mild detergent or water hose)
- No folding and/or unfolding option
Identified as the “strongest pet ramp on the market,” the design is made for easy carrying into an SUV but sturdy enough for a large dog to stroll inside the vehicle.
5. Paws & Pals Auto Dog Ramp
The Paws & Pals ramp is ideal for small pets or senior pets, along with dog owners who are unable to carry their pets anymore.
- Slip-resistant feet
- Angled-ridge pads
- Stable, secure ramp
- 4 pieces of grip tape for extra traction
- Side latches
- Built-in carrying handle
- Durable in all weather
- 10 inches long x 15.5 inches wide x 16.5 inches tall
- Length extends to 5 feet (unfolded)
- Maximum weight capacity of 120 lbs.
Four pieces of grip tape on the pet ramp are perfect for extra traction, but it’s also completely optional if your dog can climb in without it.
Weighing approximately 1.6 lbs., this portable tri-fold ramp folds out into a step loader for dogs as large as 120 pounds.
- Surface prevents slips and falls
- Grip tape easy to fold
- More suitable for smaller dogs regardless of weight maximum
Help yourself and your pet avoid injury by taking advantage of the tri-fold, lightweight ramp. No carrying is needed. With a sturdy grip, your pet can climb in the SUV with ease.
6. Pet Loader®
Not every ramp is exclusively for dogs with injuries. Sometimes a dog just needs a little extra help handling the height of the back of an SUV. This five-step Pet loader (or three-step loader) helps him or her quickly climb his or her way into your vehicle.
- 29 inches wide x 40 inches tall (5-step loader)
- 16 inches wide x 20 inches tall (3-step loader)
- Folds down to 7.25 inches (5-step loader)
- ABS plastic
- Weighs 18 lbs. (3-step loader)
- Weighs 30 lbs. (5-step loader)
While some ramps can be a little narrow and make the dog hesitant to climb, the wide-angle of this dog ramp makes this as simple as climbing regular stairs.
However, because of its weight (18 to 30 lbs.), it is imperative that the dog owner be able to carry this kind of weight on a regular basis.
- Easily folds for storage and carrying along
- Low angle to climb up and down from the SUV
- More stable than a ramp
- Ideal for medium-sized to large-sized dogs
- Not for side-entry vehicles
For a dog that just needs a pick-me-up (and a dog owner who doesn’t want to grant his or her way into getting a dog in the back of the SUV), the Pet loader makes the experience quicker for both parties.
7. Kinbor Pet Ramp
Just as wood is a go-to for sturdy furniture, it comes in just as handy for dog ramps.
- 38 inches long x 17.7 inches wide x 2 inches tall
- 65 inches long x 17.7 inches wide x 2 inches tall (unfolded)
- Holds pets up to 100 lbs
- Weighs 19 lbs
- Non-slip surface
- Built-in carrying handle
When it comes to sturdiness, wood is one of the most tried and true. This durable construction can hold as much as 100 pounds on the high-traction grip tape surface.
The landing angle is long enough so dogs can have an easier climb off the ramp. But it’s also short enough to sit in the back of an SUV, truck or van.
- Lightweight design for portability
- Easy cleanup with wood polish and/or carpet cleaner
- Folds in half like a suitcase
- Also suitable for vans and trucks
- Does not fold once assembled
While this wooden ramp maybe a little heavier than other brands, like most wood, it is the kind of durable and stable material that’ll hold up.
For a dog with stability issues, trying to walk up and down slanted ramps may not get the most enthusiastic response. The dog owner must be as patient with your dog’s dilemma as you would if/when your own body aches kick in.
According to the American Kennel Club, using dog treats to get the dog comfortable with the ramp on flat ground is one of the most successful ways to test out this new traveling add-on. Where treats are, your dog will surely follow. And once your dog gets used to the idea of walking on the ramp, it won’t take long before he or she will happily climb aboard. Now the two of you (or more) can be off to your next adventure.