Owning a dog is incredibly fun, and we especially enjoy having their company wherever we go. But what about when we aren’t at home? Let’s not forget that when we are on the move, our dogs get as thirsty as we do.
Just like humans, dogs need their fair share of water, so it is up to us to find a simple yet useful way to give it to them. And just like humans, dogs have water fountains too! We are going to look at some of the best dog water fountains out there.
You’ll never again have to worry about your pup running out of water while you’re not home. The water fountains can store extra water, so they automatically refill your pups water bowl.
Having a handy water fountain to keep your pup hydrated while you are not home or on the go will definitely keep him cool, healthy, and hydrated!
1. Petmate Replenish Gravity Waterer
The Petmate Replenish Gravity Waterer w/Microban is just like a water dispenser that any human would use, except of course this one you have to drink the water from the floor.
- Size – ½ gallon, 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 4 gallon
- Material – BPA Free plastic base and bottle
- Colors – Pearl Peacock Blue, Pearl Silver Gray, Mason Silver
- Easy To Clean – NO
- Warranty – YES
- Why We Recommend – The multiple sizes available and the size of the base dish ensure that the bowl will always be full, and it’s especially useful if you have more than one dog.
The main components include the base, filter, and water jug. It is easy to install the small charcoal filters in the holder- you literally just place it inside. Then fill up your jug, whichever size you decide to purchase, attach it to the base, and presto! Fido will have water for days.
A few useful tips for use filling the water: attach the base- upside down- after you’ve filled your jug. Then quickly turn it over and place it on the floor. This prevents an unnecessary mess of water in your kitchen. Also, be aware when filling the 4 gallon jug- it gets heavy!
- Multiple sizes available for water containers
- Comes in different colors
- Great for outdoor use
- Works for people with multiple dogs
- Easy to use filtering system
- Warranty available
- It is not dishwasher friendly
- Needs to be washed thoroughly by hand once in a while in order to prevent mold
The Petmate Replenish Gravity watering system is great if you have more than one dog, or even just one large dog that drinks a lot. The large base can dispense to multiple dogs, and the large containers will ensure your pups never go thirsty. It is also great to place outside in your backyard while your pups are playing on a hot summer day!
2. PetSafe Drinkwell Dog and Cat Water Fountain
The Petsafe Drinkwell 2 Gallon Dog and Cat Water Fountain is a great option for a water filtration system. It works well for large and small animals, and if you have more than one fur baby, they could even use it at the same time, side by side.
- Size – 2 gallons
- Material – Plastic
- Colors – Gray
- Easy To Clean – Yes
- Warranty – Yes
- Why We Recommend – It is large enough to ensure your pets have enough water, but it also is not so large that you need someone else to help you carry it.
The wide square base is slightly larger than your typical dish, and deeper too, but it still fits conveniently in the corner of your kitchen. The easy to clean filtration system attaches to the top of the bowl.
The neat feature about this fountain is the continuous water flow. This is great for those dogs that are super insistent on drinking only fresh water or water that has just been poured!
Just plug the system into the nearest outlet and watch the water slowly flow into the dish. You can even adjust the flow of the water, so you can customize it to suit the individual needs of your pet!
- No Batteries required
- Easy to clean filtration system
- Runs quietly, so you cannot hear it
- Good for small, large, or multiple pets
- Customized water flow
- For indoor use only
- Can only be used while plugged into a power outlet
- Only comes in one color
The free-flowing stream of water from the Petsafe Drinkwell helps to encourage your pet to drink, resulting in better hydration, circulation, and organ function. This is especially useful if your pup is a stubborn water drinker. And even better, there is no need to refill the dog bowl every day with this system.
3. iPettie Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain
The circular design with the continuous water flow is what makes the iPettie Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Water Fountain super attractive for your pup.
- Size – 2.1 litres / 70 ounces
- Material – Natural Ceramic
- Colors – White/blue and white
- Easy To Clean – No
- Warranty – No
- Why We Recommend – The natural ceramic material and the cool design make this the most aesthetically pleasing dog fountain on the market, but it also has a dual filtration system to prevent different bits from entering the water dish.
This water fountain is made of natural ceramic, so the dish is a bit heavier and sturdier compared to some other water fountains with bases made of plastic. The high-quality ceramic is also eco-friendly and non-toxic. It comes in a few parts, but they are super easy to assemble.
The circular dish can be placed near any outlet. The filtration system and water dispenser are actually in the middle of the round bowl, which means that the water can be accessed from any direction. Just make sure the wire to the plug is hidden well, so no one- you or pup- trips over it!
With over a 2-litre capacity, this fountain could dispense water to a single pup for days. It’s also great for multiple pets, but of course, you’ll have to fill it more often.
- Healthy material and design
- Dual filtration system
- Simple to use
- Parts are easily disassembled
- Runs quietly
- Can only be used indoors and must be plugged in
- Multiple parts make it difficult to clean
- Filters can be expensive
All the pieces are easy to assemble, which also means it is not difficult to take it apart when you clean it! The iPettie Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Water Fountain is not dishwasher safe though, so you will need to wash it by hand.
4. Dogit Design Fresh and Clear Dog Drinking Fountain
If your pup isn’t exactly a pup anymore, and he’s a little bit on the older side, the Dogit Design Fresh and Clear Dog Drinking Fountain may be what you are looking for. The circular design is familiar for your dog, but the height gives it the advantage.
- Size – 6 litres / 200 ounces
- Material – Plastic
- Colors – light blue top with white base
- Easy To Clean – Yes
- Warranty – Yes
- Why We Recommend – The large surface area and the height are good for larger dogs or older dogs that suffer from stiffness or arthritis, making it one of the best dog water fountains on the market.
The height of this water fountain is what makes it perfect for larger breeds, or older dogs that suffer from arthritis. The elevated design prevents the dog from having to bed too far, encouraging him to drink more and stay hydrated.
The continuous flowing water is dispersed through the top from a hole about the size of a coin. It then flows over a large surface area, oxygenating the water and making it more refreshing for your dog. There is also a cooling system, so it is perfect for dogs that prefer to have their water on the chilled side.
- Large surface area
- Operates quietly
- Easy to clean
- Suitable for large dogs
- Holds large amount of water
- Good for older dogs that may have health issues or restricted mobility
- Continuous water flow
- Cools water
- May not be suitable for smaller dogs, as it may be too high
- Needs to be plugged in
- Colour options not available
The dual filtration system of the Dogit Design Fresh and Clear Dog Drinking Fountain prevents bits of dust, food, or whatever else those random bits are from getting into the water dish. It’s super easy to clean too. Simply wash the cover bowl, rinse the filter, and you’re ready to go!
5. Durable Outdoor Doggie Water Fountain Step-on Fresh Cold Drinking Water
Do you love going outside with your dog in the summer? If your pup loves playtime, then this is definitely the water fountain for you! The Durable Outdoor Doggie Water Fountain Step-on Fresh Cold Drinking Water is the ultimate summer backyard activity, not just for your pup, but the whole family.
- Size – 4 pounds
- Material – Steel
- Colors – White
- Easy To Clean – Yes
- Warranty – No
- Why We Recommend – This is by far the most fun and entertaining water dispenser for any animal. Only suitable for outside, but it is a great way for your pup to burn some energy and stay hydrated at the same time.
This is not your typical doggie water fountain; it’s more like a sprinkler you’d set up in your backyard. Simply attach the base unit to the hose (included) and attach the hose to any faucet, and you are ready to go! The unit works simply by pressing down with your foot- or paw! The water immediately is dispersed vertically like a fountain, giving your pup some fresh flowing water.
Don’t forget to stake the unit down, as the base can be heavy. It’s also a good idea to make sure your hose is in the shade, so the water is cool and refreshing.
- Made of long-lasting heavy gauge steel
- Easy to use- as long as your pup can understand the concept
- Freshwater is constantly available
- Easily attached to any faucet
- Simple to put together
- Can also be used as a toy or playtime activity
- Not recommended for indoor use
- May be difficult for smaller dogs to use
- Sharp edges on the pad make for difficult handling
If your dog likes to learn new tricks, the Outdoor Doggie Water Fountain is great for creating a positive reward system. Not to mention that your entire family will enjoy it!
With so many doggie water fountain options, there’s really no need to wait. They save you time and energy, as there is no need to fill the water dish every day, or even multiple times a day. The greatest benefit to these units is really having the peace of mind that your dog will always have water. Plus, the water is filtered making it fresher, more oxygenated, and in some cases cooler.
Our favorite here would have to be the Petmate Replenish Gravity Waterer w/Microban.
Since the water jugs come in different sizes, it makes it the perfect addition for any and every pet owner. Not to mention, the charcoal filters are simple to use and easy to replace. Also, you don’t have to plug it in, so you can take it anywhere!
Be sure to keep your pup super healthy, happy, and hydrated with his very own personal doggie waterer!