Dog owners want to keep their four-legged best friends safe. That’s why they train them to stay in their yard, keep them on leashes when going for a walk, and take them to the vet regularly for checkups and care. But, let’s be honest. Even the most loving dog owners have lost their pet at one point and experienced nearly unbearable fear and anxiety. Indeed, one of the worst feelings in the world is not knowing where your dog is or if he is safe after he escapes your yard or gets loose when visiting family and friends. Thanks to today’s advanced technology, dog owners can keep their dogs even safer by purchasing a GPS dog collar (or dog tracker). Now, you’ll be able to locate your dog and bring him home much more quickly.
We reviewed dozens of GPS dog trackers to identify the best of the best. We have carefully considered user reviews, GPS tracking features and functions, and wearability when picking the top dogs of GPS dog collars.
Our Runner-Up Pick: Findster Duo+ Pet Tracker
Findster Duo+ Pet Tracker
A real-time GPS pet tracker and activity monitor that can be used to track multiple pets.$199.99 USD
With the Findster Duo+ Pet Tracker, you can track up to three pets at once. Findster’s MAZE technology eliminates the need for a cellular connection to send GPS coordinates, meaning no SIM card or cellular coverage are necessary. In other words, no monthly fees! And since it doesn’t require cellular coverage to work, that means it also works anywhere – even when you’re off the grid.
With real-time GPS tracking, it’s both reliable and precise for keeping track of your pets. You define a safe area around your pet’s location and get notified instantly if your pet leaves the designated area – giving you time to respond before your pet gets too far. Plus, it also functions as a pet activity monitor, allowing you to keep tabs on your dog’s daily activity levels to ensure that he’s getting ample daily exercise.
If you have Live Tracking (GPS location) mode on for two 30-minute walks per day, as well as all-day activity tracking, the battery will last about three days. With Live Tracking always on, the battery will last about 12 hours per charge.
Findster Duo+ Pet Tracker Key Features:
- GPS locator and activity tracker in one
- 12 hours to 3 days of battery life per charge, based on Live Tracking usage
- No SIM card or cellular coverage required – no monthly fees
Best Budget Pick: Dynotag Web/GPS Enabled QR Code Smart Pet Tag
Best Budget Pick
Dynotag Web/GPS Enabled QR Code Smart Pet Tag
If your dog gets lost, this tracker will cut the fuss (and the cost!) and get to the point, with the “Oh Crap I’m Lost” tag.$19.95 USD
The Dynotag Web/GPS Enabled QR Code Smart Pet Tag will let you track your pup without monthly fees, batteries or downloading apps. This will help you find a lost dog without lot of extra fuss. Reading a tag that says “Oh Crap. I’m Lost” will let anyone who comes to find your dog exactly how to contact you and that can help you get your lost pup back faster.
Dynotag creates products with QR code smart labels to help you locate your most valuable possessions. Their Web/GPS Enabled QR Code Smart Pet Tag is not like other GPS dog trackers. This tag links to a private web page and provides a complete pet information management system with a simple scan. When someone scans the tag with a smartphone, the tag’s location immediately is delivered to the dog’s owner via passive GPS technology.
It comes in 4 different color choices (and less funny commentary if that’s more your style) so you’ll gt to pick which tag to pop on your dog’s collar. And at only 35.5mm by 30mm, your dog won’t even notice the addition to his collar. And, did we forget to mention? It’s only $16.95!
Dynotag Web/GPS Enabled QR Code Smart Pet Tag Key Features:
- Durable, waterproof, and impact-proof stainless steel construction with protective polymers on both sides
- Requires no batteries
- Owners can track each time the tag is scanned
- Lifetime subscription to pet information management system is included
- Easily input your information in your free dynotag.com account and secure it with a password
- Available in Blue “See Reverse to Contact My Parents,” Green “Help Me Get Home Safely,” Purple “Have Your People Call My People,” or Red “Oh Crap, I’m Lost”
Best Best GPS Dog Tracker Pick: SportDOG Brand TEK 2.0 GPS Tracking System V2-L
Best GPS Dog Collar
SportDOG Brand TEK 2.0 GPS Tracking System V2-L
Keep excellent track of all your dogs by adding up to 24 collars into your with the SportDOG Brand TEK 2.0 GPS Tracking System.$619.95 USD
The SportDOG Brand TEK 2.0 GPS Tracking System V2-L can track your dog and show you real time updates on an included handheld device without any monthly subscription or map update fees. You can add up to 21 dogs to each system and keep track of their location and their data, including their distance traveled, their current speed in MPH, and where the multiple dogs are in relation to the others programmed into the device.
With its GPS software, you can track your dog up to 10 miles away, even if you have no cell service, making this a great alternative to relying on your cell phone apps if you happen to take your dogs in the mountains or some where without great coverage. Both the collar and the handheld device are waterproof and fully submersible, as well as rechargeable. One full charge for the collar takes about four hours and will last for up to 24 hours while the handheld device takes about 8 hours to fully charge and lasts about 12 before needing recharged.
If you don’t already have the SportDOG TEK 2.0 GPS Tracking system with the Add-a-Dog collar, this is the all information you need to know: The system is one of the best on the market and includes 1:100,000 pre-loaded full-color TOPO maps to keep you on track while alerting you to your dog’s location.
SportDOG Brand TEK 2.0 GPS Tracking System V2-L Key Features:
- 10-mile range using HopTek technology
- Bluetooth compatible for receiving voice updates directly to an earpiece
- Tracks up to 21 collars by purchasing Add-a-Collars (see #16)
- GPS collar is DryTek waterproof and submersible to 25 feet
- For dogs 8 pounds or larger; fits necks 10.75-23 inches
Best Best GPS Dog Tag Pick: PawPrintsID GPS Pet Collar Rescue and Recovery ID Dog Tag
Best GPS Dog Tag
PawPrintsID GPS Pet Collar Rescue and Recovery ID Dog Tag
With the PawPrintsID GPS Pet Collar Rescue and Recovery ID Dog Tag, one scan from the stranger who finds your dog and his location is sent to you and all your dog’s important medical information and your contact number is there for the good Samaritan.
The PawPrintsID GPS Pet Collar Rescue and Recovery ID Dog Tag will store all your dog’s important information right at the scan of a phone. Should your dog get lost and be found by a humane society or even a friendly neighbor, they scan this tag on your dog’s collar and will have access to your contact information and all your dog’s pertinent medical information; up to and including digital X-Rays and allergies.
PawPrintsID works to get lost dogs found fast, and their QR Smart GPS Pet Collar Rescue and Recovery ID Dog Tag makes it possible. Owners receive instant GPS text messages and emails when someone finds your dog and scans his tag from anywhere in the world. If the person scanning your pup’s tag has a smart phone, his or her location will be immediately sent to you via Google maps.
This scan-able tag requires no subscriptions or monthly fees and using this tag and the technology we carry around in our pocket every day, you can take steps to make sure your dog gets home to you fast.
PawPrintsID GPS Pet Collar Rescue and Recovery ID Dog Tag Key Features:
- Store your dog’s medical records and X-rays digitally on the tag to have access to them from anywhere, anytime
- Multi-pet aware
- Unlimited reminder alerts
- Store any photo or document in the PawPrintsID tag
- No activation fees, monthly or yearly subscriptions, or upgrade charges
Who Should Buy a GPS Dog Tracker or Collar
There are plenty of motivations for buying a GPS tracker for your dog. The primary one is, of course, concern for your dog. If you’re worried he may get lost or bolt on you when you take your eyes off him for a moment, then it may be a good idea to find yourself some added peace of mind. A GPS tracker will insure that no matter where your dog goes, there is technology on him to locate him. You may have a relatively well behaved dog, but most dogs are just one poorly timed squirrel away from misbehavior and a tracking unit can help make sure he comes home safe.
Even if your dog doesn’t typically run off, it’s still a great idea to have a GPS tracker on him for a wide range of “just in case” scenarios. You’ll want to know where he goes, just in case he gets hurt. What if there’s a female neighbor dog that he has a keen interest in? You don’t want your dog to be a father before he’s ready! And, even if you have no real concerns for even the “just in case” scenarios, aren’t you curious where he goes when you let him wander?Top pick
Whistle GO Explore Health & Location Tracker for Dogs
A premium GPS tracker that offers real-time tracking and instant notifications.
Important Features to Consider
A GPS tracker for your dog should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a GPS tracker for your furry friend:
- Waterproof. If you don’t know where your dog is, the chances of you knowing he isn’t in water are pretty slim. And if he’s getting into mischief while way from his parents, then you just know he’s splashing in a pond and rolling in mud puddles. And even if he misses all those water opportunities, there’s still rain and slobber! Indeed, ‘waterproof’ is an excellent feature to require in your GPS dog tracker.
- Handheld device. Having a handheld map that shows you exactly where your dog is on it can keep you independently tracking your pup for miles. In fact, your device will often have a range of several miles. This is an incredibly beneficial feature if you plan on taking your pup to the woods or if you have a hunting dog because you’re less likely to get cell phone reception in the woods to check any GPS app and losing a dog among the trees isn’t exactly difficult.
- Long battery life. This is probably the most important feature to look for in a GPS dog tracker. Because if your dog has been missing for an entire day, the tracker does no good if the battery is dead. You will probably want to have a battery life of at least 24 hours, even if you’ll get him back well before that time is up. On the off chance you simply can’t get to him in that window, you’ll want as long a battery life as you can find.
- Scanning. If you can track your dog, that’s key. But don’t overlook the potential good that can come of a stranger being able to scan the tag and have your dogs vital information at their fingertips. They can call you right away or take note of anything pertinent you’ve included in the scan. You always hope for someone kind to find and to take care of your dog until you can get to him, but if your dog has special needs or allergies, a tag that relays that information could save your pup’s life.
- Subscription service. We understand the hesitation to sign up for another monthly bill. But the old saying is true. You get what you pay for; and the customer service you get when you’re in a panic over a lost dog is simply undeniable. Tossing a few bucks a month for a service that will talk you through exactly where your pup is while you’re scared and missing him may just be worth it to you.
- Real-time mapping. Real-time mapping means that your map (and the location of your dog) updates immediately and without a delay. A lot of GPSs will frequently, if momentarily, loose connection with a satellite and that’s all it takes for the accuracy of your dog’s location at that exact minute to fail. You may not realize how important this feature is – until you think of how fast your dog really is.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a GPS dog tracker and how does it work?A GPS tracker will use satellites through a Global Positioning System (GPS) to locate your dog, no matter where in the world he is. You’ll most likely attach the GPS to his collar or it will come as part of his collar. But you could attach it anywhere on him that won’t bother him; a harness or a pack, for example. You can use this tracker to locate your dog for any number of reasons; if he’s lost, or he’s not coming home; if he’s stuck or hurt; even if you’re just curious. A GPS tracking system for your dog will give you peace of mind for a fur baby who can’t call for a ride if they get stuck somewhere or yell out to you if they’re hurt. You can check the GPS through several methods; most trackers make use of our smart phones and have apps or websites for you to check.
Can you track your pet with a chip?Not really; but kind of. A microchip provides a permanent identification for your dog (RFID – Radio-Frequency Identification), but do not talk to any satellites. They store your contact information and your pup’s name. Every veterinary office and humane society have scanners that will tell them his information and make the chances of contacting you and getting Fido home all the greater.
While the chip can’t track your dog with a GPS, it also doesn’t require a power source to operate and it can’t be (easily) removed. (It’s implanted into your dog’s shoulder.) We still recommend getting a chip so that no matter where your pup ends up, a vet or humane society will be able to scan his body to find information to contact you.
Do I need to download an app to use a GPS dog collar?Depends entirely on the GPS tracker you choose. You can find handheld devices that won’t use your phone at all or some that will use an in-depth website that details all the information you need without the need of an app. There are even trackers that simply text or email you updates with your dog’s location. But the no nonsense answer to whether you need to download an app to monitor your dog’s GPS tracker is: Yeah, probably.
Do all GPS dog collars require a monthly fee?Not all GPS trackers require a monthly fee, although several do. In fact, even those who don’t may kind of require a monthly fee in round-about ways. If you need to download an app on your phone to access your dog’s GPS to track him, you’ll need to pay for the data and monthly subscription fee to use that phone. If the tracker sends you texts, data and testing rates may apply. If you’re without a phone in this day and age, though, a dog GPS is not likely to be the last bit of temptation to finally sway you to buy a cell phone. But if you didn’t have a monthly cell phone bill you likely wouldn’t be able to use most dog GPS trackers.
True subscriptions for dog GPS tracking typically provide a phenomenal customer service to go with that fee, making it worth your money (usually less than $30; often under $10). If you want a truly free tracking system for your dog, you’ll definitely be safe buying a GPS tracker with a handheld map device that won’t make you pay for map updates.
Other GPS Dog Collar and Dog Trackers We Reviewed
Whistle GO Health & Location Tracker for Dogs
A premium GPS tracker that offers real-time tracking and instant notifications.
We looked at 20 other GPS dog trackers. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best GPS trackers list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing and we’ve grouped them into the following categories for your convenience:
GPS Dog Collars
Made to fit on your dog’s collar or the included collar, the Gibi Pet GPS Tracker is a smaller size and is designed to fit comfortably on your pet. The Gibi GPS Tracker is made to give dog owners peace of mind even when your pet slips away from you.
- Accurate positioning
- Long battery life
- Comes with GPS tracker via the app
- Get your pet’s real-time location via mobile app
- Set a geofence and receive alerts when your pet moves beyond it
Garmin is one of the pioneers of GPS technology, so dog owners rest easily knowing they are using a Garmin to track their pets when they purchase the Alpha 100 TT 15 bundle. For dog owners who want to train their dogs while tracking them, this bundle is an ideal option.
- Tracks one dog with the display updating every 5 seconds
- Vibrant color display
- Remote has a MicroSD card slot for uploading TOPO U.S. 100K maps to see elevation contours
- Connects to several compatible Garmin devices
- Install the BaseStation software on a laptop to turn it into a field control center with real-time GPS information on a larger display
A technology company dedicated to dogs and their owners, Link AKC creates products that strengthen the bond between dogs and their owners. Link AKC offers their Smart Dog Collar with GPS Location Tracker, a CES 2017 winner of the Best of Innovation in Wearable Technology.
- Fast, accurate GPS location tracking
- Recommended for dogs 10 pounds and heavier
- Receive customized activity recommendations tailored to your dog
- Remote turn-on LED light for added safety
- Remote turn-on sound to aid in training
- Ambient temperature alerts for extra safety
- Manufacturer will exchange your collar for the right size as your puppy grows at no cost
- Collar is designed for comfort, fit, and fashion
- Use with the Link AKC app to keep vet records
- Digital Scrapbook for adventures
- Includes a leather collar, a Link AKC tracking unit and collar carrier, and a Link AKC base station with charging cord
- Sports Sleeve accessories available in pink and gray
- Connected by AT&T, service plans start as low as $6.95/month
Tails-us is a no-fee GPS and activity tracking collar for pets. Thanks to Tails-us, dog owners not only can keep tabs on their dogs’ locations, but they also can keep an eye on their health by monitoring their activity levels on the Tails-us app.
- Reliable GPS and cellular connectivity so you can always locate your pet, indoors or out
- Check in with your pet when you’re away from home using the app
- Lightweight, durable, smart collar
- GPS tracking, temperature monitoring, geofencing, collision detection, and more
- Battery lasts up to 12 hours
- Receive alerts when pet leaves preset safe zone borders
A stylish GPS dog tracker that is seamlessly integrated into the collar, the SureFlap Animo Dog GPS Tracker is adjustable and designed especially for dogs. Track, locate, and monitor your pet’s location and activities with the real-time location tracking and historical trip playback provided by the SureFlap Animo Dog GPS Tracker.
- Waterproof and durable
- GPS, cellular network, Wi-Fi, and 3D acceleration assisted positioning for more accuracy
- Safe zone and trip recorder with real-time location tracking and historical trip playback
- Monitor your pet’s location in addition to his health, wellness, fitness, and schedule
- Also monitors existing health conditions and treatments
- Long-lasting battery life of 6 months
- Compatible with iOS 9 and above or Android 5.0 and above
SportDOG Brand understands the love you have for your dog and wants to help you keep him safe. That’s why they offer a few dog GPS trackers including their TEK 2.0 Add-a-Dog Collar to supplement an existing TEK 2.0 system (see #17). If you train your dogs and work with them frequently for hunting, hiking, or other outdoor activities that put them in danger of being lost, the Add-a-Dog Collar is an ideal solution.
- 10-mile range
- 99 continuous, momentary, and rising stimulation levels for training
- DryTek waterproof
- Submersible to 25 feet
- Compatible with TEK 2.0 systems only
Dog owners quickly locate their lost animals when they opt for the TK-STAR Smart Pet GPS Tracker with Real-Time Alerts. The speedy location time is due to the multiple ways in which you can access the information about your pet; users may locate their dog using the app, using the website, texting the device, or receiving three-second signals to get a view of the full route your dog takes.
- Monitor your dog’s location, movement, speed, route history, and more
- Gain access to exact locations using Google Maps
- Set up a geofence to restrict your dog’s movements, and receive a message as soon as he leaves the area
- GPS and LBS service with real-time tracking
- Low battery alarm
One of the few waterproof GPS tracker collars to make our list, the Garmin T5 GPS Dog Collar is designed to help you track your dog. There aren’t monthly charges for the GPS service. The tracking device has a range of 9 miles.
- Battery life 20-40 hours
- Includes 1″ blue collar strap
- LED beacon lights and Rescue mode
- High-Sensitivity GPS with GLONASS
- Uses a rechargeable Li-ion battery
Dog Tag GPS Trackers
The Pawscout bark collar is a waterproof, GPS dog tracker that’s perfect for outdoor use. Pet owners don’t have to worry about their dog’s location with the Pawscout smart tag because it has lost pet alerts and acts as an outdoor pet leash that delivers the latest information about your pet to the palm of your hand.
- Waterproof rating of IPX7
- Approximately 300 feet range
- Get 6 month battery life
- Mobile App to track pet
- Size of a silver dollar
The Daxin Smart GPS Tracker works with Google Maps to show you its last location. Because of its design and size, this GPS tracking collar can be attached to your dog, child, keys, or anything else you want to be able to locate quickly and easily.
- 100% new design
- Uses the latest Bluetooth technology with a corresponding app to let you know your dog’s location within 80 feet
- When your dog goes beyond 80 feet, the device sounds a warning and you receive an alert on your smartphone
- Available in black, white, blue, or green
- Compatible with Android phones and iPhones
Find My Pet GPS Dog Tracker uses advanced GPS tracking to help you find your dog nearly anywhere in the world. It’s perfect for the pet that travels! The tracker slips easily onto your pet’s collar and gives you peace of mind knowing that you will receive an alert as soon as your dog leaves the geo-fence that you determine.
- Waterproof device
- Long battery life: 2 to 4 days
- Comes with 1 month of free service
- Receive direct messages via the app as soon as your dog leaves the geo-fence
Find My Pet GPS is one of the most trusted brands of GPS dog trackers. Their Classic GPS Dog Tracker locates your pet on your smartphone anywhere in the world as long as you have cell network coverage. Dog owners use the Find My Pet GPS to track their pets on Android and iOS devices.
- Provides the most accurate location outdoors
- Will track and locate your pet using cell service when the tracker loses contact with satellites
- Includes SIM Card
- Add as many pets to your account as you need
- First month of service is free, then choose to pay the monthly subscription fee of $4.99/month, a one-year plan for $4.17/month, or the three-year plan for $2.75/month
One of the smallest Wi-Fi and GPS dog trackers, the Find My Pet Nano GPS Dog Tracker accurately tracks pets indoors and outdoors using existing Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals without needing a password. Waterproof and with a rechargeable battery, Find My Pet Nano can track and locate your dog nearly anywhere on your smartphone.
- Tracks your dog using GPS satellite, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals, and cell phone networks; determine which networks are being used via the app
- Use the free Android and iOS apps anywhere you have cell coverage
- Includes the SIM Card
- Automatically track your dog in real-time in one-minute intervals or manually update your pet’s location anytime
- Battery life of 2-4 days; receive an alert when the battery is running low
- First month of service is free, then choose to pay the monthly subscription fee of $4.99/month, a one-year plan for $4.17/month, or the three-year plan for $2.75/month
Gibi helps pet owners find their missing dogs with the click of a button on a smartphone. The locator slips onto your pet’s collar and fits comfortably on their neck.
- Low-battery alerts in plenty of time to recharge the Gibi
- Share your pet’s location with family and friends via Google Maps so they can help you bring your dog home
- Requires Gibi pet location service agreement and registration
- Durable, waterproof, and lightweight
- Use with Gibi’s online browser-based app and access it anywhere you have an internet connection
- Crate safe zones and receive alerts via email and/or text when your dog breaches them
The DAGPS GPS dog tracker helps you keep tabs on your dog from anywhere in the world. You can constantly track your dog indoors or outdoors with one-key operation on the app.
- GPS and Wi-Fi accurate tracking and location worldwide with dual tracking technology
- Military-level GPS chip and locating accuracy within approximately 10-16.5 feet
- Real-time tracking
- Small and lightweight
- App clearly displays your pet’s location and trail
- Receive alerts on your smartphone when your pet escapes the geofence that you select
From the front, the PetTouchID Smart Pet Tag for GPS Location looks like a decorative tag for your dog’s collar. When you flip it over, you realize that this smart pet tag houses a QR Code that people can scan with their smartphone to learn your contact information and that sends you the GPS location of your missing furry friend.
- Available in several colors and styles featuring dog bones, paw prints, or hearts
- Create an online pet profile page secured in the cloud free of charge
- Scan the tag with any smartphone
- As soon as the tag is scanned, you receive the GPS location of your dog
- Does not require an app or subscription fee
GBD Smart Finder Pet Tracker helps you track your pet on your smartphone. The GPS Pet Tracker is compatible with iOS and Android smartphones so that dog owners can receive text messages when their pets leave the home zone or geofence.
- See where your dog is on your smartphone map
- Get up-to-the-minute location updates to track your pet
- Easily add petsitter log-ins from your smartphone
- Fits most collars
- Small and lightweight, weighing only 0.71 ounces
Pod is one of the smallest and lightest remote GPS trackers available. The Pod 3 GPS + Wi-Fi Pet Tracker & Activity Monitor is one of the top choice for dog owners who want to keep tabs on their pets because it is designed to attach to any size collar without causing dogs any discomfort or hindering their movements.
- Locate your pet in real time
- One click locates your dog indoors or outdoors
- Receive alerts on your smartphone when your pet leaves the boundary you have set
- Records up to 8 hours of your pets’ movements with continuous tracking
- Waterproof and includes removable batteries
- 4 tracking technologies allow you to track your pet indoors and outdoors
Tagg GPS Pet Tracker helps pet owners keep their pets safe with advanced GPS location devices that enable monitoring on mobile devices and desktops. A 10-time award-winning GPS pet tracker, the Tag Pet Tracker is not a simple microchip; instead, it uses advanced GPS and the nation’s largest wireless network to empower you to find your pet anywhere and at any time.
- Tracks pets’ activity levels in addition to their locations so you can ensure they are getting enough exercise to remain healthy
- Sends text and email alerts when your pet is on the loose
- Free award-winning apps for iPhone and Android
- Attaches to your pet’s existing collar
- Ideal for dogs weighing at least 10 pounds
Tractive GPS pet tracking products help owners get a real-time location of their dog directly on a smartphone. Measuring two inches by 1.6 inches, the Tractive GPS Pet Tracker is the perfect size to fit your dog’s collar without bothering him or weighing him down while he’s exploring and having fun.
- Lightweight and waterproof
- One of the smallest GPS trackers with an integrated SIM card
- Real-time location tracking and live positioning for your dog
- Monthly service starts at $5