Whether you’re outside cleaning your pool, barbecuing or just reading a good book on the porch, your dog probably wants to hang out. And if you’ve ever seen a dog spin around a hundred times and scratch the same spot in your couch to get comfortable, then you already know that dogs can be a bit particular.
This means finding the best outdoor dog bed may come down to whichever one your dog likes the most, no matter how fancy it sounds. If you are cleaning that pool though, a waterproof outdoor dog bed will save you from a lot of air-drying.
And those outdoor dog beds that can handle both hot and rainy days may be even better. Popular weather in your town will make all the difference regarding which bed is ideal, too. Check out these 15 options below for ideas to help your dog snooze in the sun.
The Coolaroo elevated bed will keep your dog cool by increasing airflow to its fur coat. It’ll also reduce pressure on your dog’s knees, hips, elbows and shoulders.
- Available in six colors (Brunswick Green, Grey, Nutmeg, Terracotta, Gunmetal, Aquatic Blue)
- Available in Small (11.1 x 1.6 x 21.5 inches), Medium (43.5 x 8 x 25.5 inches), Large (11.1 x 1.6 x 30.5 inches)
- Powder-coated steel frame
In addition to being comfortable and breathable, the material on this bed is resistant to fleas, mites, mold and mildew. It sits up approximately 7 inches off the ground.
- 100 percent recyclable
- Lead- and phthalate-free fabric
- Some sizes are not available in certain colors (Aquatic Blue and Gunmetal are not available in Small sizes)
- Refund and/or replacement policy is unclear on site
This bed, which can be used both indoors and outdoors, is easy to clean. Just grab a hose to spray it off and wait for it to be back to its dry self.
This slip-resistant elevated dog bed is easy to put together. Just hook and loop it, and it’s ready to relax on.
- Available in four sizes (Small, Medium, Large, X-Large)
- Available in six colors (black, beige, blue, brown, green, orange-red, silver-grey)
- Tee union
This portable bed (49 x 33 x 9 inches) is both breathable and durable, with no-slip feet that work both indoors and outdoors. This bed is made of textilene mesh and powder-coated steel and can hold a maximum weight of 150 pounds. It’s also pest-resistant, anti-scratch and features UV stabilization as well as being resistant to heat.
- Machine washable
- Assembly required (although not a lot of it)
- Warranty policy is not posted on site
Although there is no clear warranty or refund policy if you just don’t like this bed, it is covered for missing parts. Just contact the seller for a free replacement without returning the original bed.
3. K&H Pet Cot
This elevated outside bed has a removable, washable cover so you never have to worry about a filthy bed after a camping trip with your dog.
- Available in two designs (chocolate mesh, gray mesh)
- Available in four sizes (Small, 17 x 22 x 7 inches; Medium, 25 x 32 x 7 inches; Large, 30 x 42 x 7 inches; X-Large, 32 x 50 x 9 inches)
- 600-denier fabric
As a great option for indoors, outdoors, travel and camping, this bed can go everywhere with you. It takes just a couple of minutes to assemble and disassemble as needed. And the sturdy frame can hold up to 150 pounds.
- Non-skid rubber feet
- Assembly required (no tools required)
- Several reviewers pointed out that it couldn’t hold their weight, even under 150 pounds
This bed is covered by a one-year limited warranty.
4. Super Snoozer
This indoor/outdoor dog bed is durable and calming for all seasons.
- UV-treated polyester (up to 500 hours of direct sunlight)
- Available in two sizes (Medium, 36 x 27 x 4 inches; Large, 40 x 30 x 4 inches)
- Available in three colors (chocolate, pewter gray, cloud gray)
This dog bed has extra padding to support his weight, and the durable channeled liner helps keep the polyfill stuffing in place. This chew-resistant polyester bed should be OK for dogs up to 80 pounds.
- Fade resistant
- Water resistant
- Manufacturer warranty only available by contacting customer service
- Several reviewers said the stitching is not strong enough to hold up from snags or outdoor use
When it’s time to wash odors, fur and dander off the bed, just put it in the washer on a gentle, cold cycle. Let the bed air dry or tumble dry.
This portable outdoor bed has thick and premium polyester, and is safe for all four seasons.
- Available in two sizes (43 x 26 inches, 51 x 35 inches)
- Available in two colors (blue, orange)
- Handle attached to hang for air drying
This bed, which is made of Oxford cloth, can handle rain, water and heat. Use it as a camping mat, sleeping mat, travel mat and/or an indoor mat. It can also go inside of crates and kennels. The refined stitching on this mat can help keep the bed durable, and is easily folds and slips inside of its matching bag.
- Washable by machine (or hand)
- Not recommended for aggressive chewers
- Warranty and/or refund policy is not confirmed on site
Keep dogs off your furniture with this bed. It can be used as a canine mattress, as a couch cushion, for car seats, on the lawn, at the beach, and as a mat or blanket.
This rectangular-shaped bed is built to be used indoors and outdoors, with its raised side walls to add extra structure.
- Available in five sizes (Small, 17.7 x 13.4 x 6.3 inches; Medium, 21.7 x 16.5 x 6.7 inches; Large, 25.6 x 20 x 7.1 inches; X-Large, 30.3 x 24 x 7.5 inches; Jumbo, 35 x 27.5 x 7.9 inches)
- Soft oxford fabric
- Raised side walls for structure
This stuffed bed has a pillow-like edge with a low front so your dog can easily come in and step off. The water-resistant material should be able to catch accidents and stains, but if that doesn’t do it, it should be easy to spot clean.
- Water resistant
- Should be easy to spot clean
- Not machine washable
- Must contact seller for manufacturer’s warranty
This bed is covered by a one-year limited warranty.
7. The Dog’s Bed
The Dog’s Bed
Enjoy this premium dog bed in your home, car, crate and/or outside.
- Available in four sizes (Medium, 31.5 x 23.5 inches; Large, 39.5 x 27.5 inches; X-Large, 47.5 x 33.5 inches; XX-Large, 53 x 37 inches)
- Available in four colors (grey, brown, biscuit, black)
- Available with three embroidered messages (“The Dog’s Bed,” “Back in 5 Mins,” “ZZZZZ”)
This premium plush blanket is machine washable and protects your bed and furniture. The tightly woven polyester bed is made of Oxford fabric. Its water-resistant, quick-drying and abrasion-resistant material makes it stress-free to place anywhere outside.
- Removable washable covers
- One reviewer reported that her dog tore the bed up in less than five hours; not intended for dogs who like to roughhouse
- Foam on inside may not be waterproof, reports one reviewer
The brown dog’s blanket is optional but not included. You’ll never mix it up with your other blankets, especially considering it says “The Dog’s Blanket” right on it. It’s both double-stitched; in premium, quality fleece; and easy to wipe clean. The bed is covered by a one-year limited warranty against manufacturing defects.
Furhaven Orthopedic Mat
This rectangular foam mattress pet bed can handle dogs up to 95 pounds.
- Available in four sizes (Small, 20 x 15 inches; Medium, 30 x 20 inches; Large, 36 x 27 inches; Jumbo, 44 x 35 inches)
- Available in 3-inch and 4-inch foam
- Available in 36 designs
This dog bed has a medical-grade foam mattress and is produced without formaldehyde or ozone depleters. The gusseted sides heighten the cushion, and the egg-crate foam helps to evenly distribute your dog’s body weight.
- Removable, water-resistant cover
- Soothes pressure joints and promotes better air circulation
- Not suitable for excessive chewers
- Refund and/or warranty policy covered
The restorative sleep option makes this bed comfortable, as well as accessible for elderly and disabled dogs.
9. Floppy Dawg
The mesh bottom on this elevated dog bed allows breathability, and the removable canopy allows comfort for sunnier days.
- Shade canopy (removable)
- Carrying bag included
- 1680D oxford fabric and steel frame
This indoor/outdoor dog bed is available in four colors (red, camouflage, blue, grey). It’s also available in two sizes: Medium (30 x 24 x 28 inches) and Large (36 x 30 Inches x 36 inches).
- Some assembly required
- Warranty and/or refund policy unclear
In addition to providing comfort from a hot floor, the elevated bed can also protect your dog from unheated floor areas, especially hardwood and/or cement.
10. K&H Comfy N’ Dry
K&H Comfy N’ Dry
This indoor/outdoor dog bed is excellent for arthritic and incontinent pets, in addition to everyday active dogs.
- Available in two colors (lime green, chocolate)
- Available in two sizes (28 x 36 inches, 36 x 48 inches)
- “Noodle” foam type (2 inches thick)
This orthopedic pet bed is covered by 100 percent recyclable material with UV treated, fade-resistant protection. If/when it needs to be cleaned, it’s safe to add the cover in the washing machine. The mesh center cover and waterproof fill helps reduce and/or eliminate moisture damage.
- Ultra-supportive waterproof core
- Bed not ideal for compressed shipping, according to one reviewer
- Couple reviewers mentioned the bed and/or cover didn’t last more than two days
This dog bed is covered by a K&H one-year limited warranty.
11. Petmaker Portable
Yoga enthusiasts already know how cool it is to be able to transport mats from place to place. This roll-up portable dog bed operates similarly.
- Available in two colors (blue, coral)
- Hook and loop fasteners
- Cover: 100 percent polyester filling: 100 percent polyurethane foam
This easy-travel bed (24 x 37 x 7.5 inches) has faux fur and canvas should be cleaned by hand and hung up to dry, but do not wring it out. When ready to use again, just pick up by the carry handle.
- Interlocking memory foam baffles keep foam from shifting, sagging or compressing
- Faux fur side keeps pets warm
- Bleach and fabric softener will damage the material
- Refund and/or warranty policy unclear
Although it may be comfortable for your dog, be careful with smaller dogs and on smooth surfaces. It may slide and become dangerous for senior dogs and active dogs who tend to jump around.
This roll-up mat can be used on floors, crates, sofas, beds, cars and outdoors.
- Padding with thick premium polyester
- Available in two sizes (Medium, 28.5 x 21.5 inches; Large, 32.5 x 25.5 inches)
- Convenient carrying case with handle
This waterproof, roll-up dog mat can be ideal for your senior dog’s oopsies. The dog bed material keeps pet urine off of wood floors, sofas and additional furniture.
- Water and heat resistant
- Folds conveniently for easy storage
- Hot water will damage material
- Refund, replacement and/or warranty policy unclear
For regular travelers, especially drivers, this bed is small enough to keep in the trunk of your car without getting in the way of regular groceries and other common packages.
13. For 4 Paws Oxford
For 4 Paws Oxford
This rectangle dog bed can be used indoor, outdoor, in cars, camping and everywhere else.
- Available in three colors (blue, navy, orange)
- Available in three sizes (Small, 26 x 20 x 4.7 inches; Medium, 35 x 25.5 x 4.7 inches; Large, 40 x 28.7 x 4.7 inches)
- Oxford canvas material
This premium high loft polyester fiber-fil bed is warm, comfortable and easy to carry.
- Water resistant cover
- Ultra-tough canvas-based fabric endures chewing and tearing
- Refund, replacement and/or warranty policy unclear
- Avoid shrinkage from high heat
If/when it needs to be washed, the cover is machine washable. Clean the fill separately in cold water on its gentle cycle, and tumble dry on low heat before use.
Suitable for indoor and outdoor use, this dog bed can support up to 135 pounds.
- Oxford fabric and steel frame
- Paint-coated steel frame
- Two middle beams used to hold large pets
This breathable mesh can allow cool, comfortable air flow for your dog on hot summer days. This bed (48 x 36 x 43.2 inches) comes with a detachable waterproof canopy to block UV rays. Inside, just remove the canopy to use the bed inside. Pick and choose your favorite color; your options are brown, dark gray and silver gray. Your dog will sit 9.1 inches up off the ground.
- Non-skid feet holds the bed and canopy securely in place
- Withstands paw scratches
- Mild assembly required (without tools or screws)
- Not ideal for chewers, according to one reviewer
Although the refund, replacement and/or warranty policy is not immediately clear on the site, the seller does confirm two-year, worry-free support for the product.
If you have a dog who is usually sitting by the door waiting on you to come inside, why should you be away from your friend? Bring this outdoor travel dog bed with you.
- Nylon stuff sack included
- Poly-suede surface
- Double offset quilts
This 30 x 39-inch bed comes with a rip-stop liner for your more active four-legged friends. And this washable nylon dog bed can resist dirt and hold its shape in the washing machine.
- Rolls up compactly
- Water resistant
- Not ideal to put in a machine dryer (air dry instead)
- Refund, replacement and/or warranty policy unclear on site
This outdoor dog bed works out well for small, medium and/or large dogs, with a built-in loop to hang up when not in use.
Hopefully one of the 15 beds above work for your dog’s needs. Regardless of which bed you choose, make sure you follow the cleaning instructions. Some beds may require damp soap and water. Others just need a spray hose and water. Maybe a few can handle a machine wash and dry. Just make sure the bed is properly cleaned. Whether it’s brought in and out of the home as your dog wants to use it or stays outside, bugs, dirt and debris can build up on unclean beds. And of course there’s the matter of hair dander.
While you want to make sure that your dog feels comfortable lying around in the sun, you also want to make sure your dog won’t be attacked by fleas or bugs that have made your dog’s bed into their new home. Just as you would maintain the cleanliness and appearance of your own bed, make sure your dog’s bed is treated this way, too.