Summer is well and truly here, and along with the glorious sunshine, comes the sound of birds chirping, the smells of the flowers blooming, and you can almost see the love in the air!
All of these ingredients that make for a magical summer is what makes us all crave time in the bright and fresh outdoors. But, it’s not just you that wants a little sun time… your dog is craving it too!
However, like most pet owners, it’s not uncommon to worry that your dog might run away, or meet some not so friendly animals, or both! And who knows what other mischief your pooch might get into if you leave him running around in the wild!
A portable dog fence could be the solution to all of these problems so that you and Fido can both enjoy the fresh air and beautiful weather while it’s here!
In order to make your life easier, we have selected a few portable dog fences, each with unique characteristics, and we are confident that you will find one to suit your specific needs depending on what outdoor activity you choose to enjoy, your dog’s breed and size, and your budget.
1. BestPet Heavy Duty Pet Playpen Dog Exercise Pen Fence B
Keep your furry friend safe with the BestPet Heavy Duty Pet Playpen, which provides a highly durable fencing option.
- Weight – 52.8lbs
- Material – ½” Tube Steel Frame
- Warranty – NO
- Dimensions – 40” W x 31” H
- Color – Black, Silver
- Why We Recommend – Very durable and stays in place
This heavy-duty fence pins directly into the ground, making it harder to move, even by a larger dog. However, it’s worth noting that while this feature makes for a sturdy fence – it is not suitable for indoor use, and it’s important to note that you’ll need an area of grass or dirt to affix the pins.
With eight panels that are 40” wide by 31” high, the fence is very versatile and can be set up in different shapes and patterns to fit the size of your garden and fit the needs of your pet.
For the style-conscious pet-parents out there, this option has you covered! The BestPet Heavy Duty Pet Playpen combines the must-have functionality and durability; with stylish aesthetics! Available in two muted neutral colours, black and Silver – these are guaranteed to complement any outdoor decor.
Is your puppy a little mean chewing machine? No problem! The BestPet Heavy Duty Pet Playpen has a durable paint coating that will stand your doggie’s attempts to chew through the fence!
- Durable, Heavy-duty
- Chip (and chew) resistant coating
- Eight panels that can be set up according to your needs
- Available in Black and Silver
- Big enough for multiple pets
- The door can be opened easily
- The heavier frame makes it a bit harder to move
- Outdoor use only
Another pro is that the BestPet Heavy Duty Pet Fence will dismantle and store relatively easily. The sturdy frame weighs more than smaller, lighter options but if you don’t mind the weight, this fence is portable.
2. IRIS 34” Exercise 8-Panel Pet Playpen with Door
Keep your pooch safe with the IRIS Exercise Panel Pet Playpen built for both indoor and outdoor use. Its commercial grade plastic frame provides an impressive level of durability while keeping it both lightweight and portable.
- Weight – 26.2lbs
- Material – Commercial Grade Plastic
- Warranty – NO
- Dimensions -63 x 63 x 34”
- Color – Various
- Why We Recommend – 2-panel add-on makes it more versatile; multiple colours available
The lightweight frame also makes it especially handy for indoor use, especially since it will be safer for your floors! Forget about scratches caused by heftier frame fences; you get to keep your pooch enclosed and secure while keeping your hardwood floors pristine (well, as much as any dog owner can!)
For the bright and bubbly pet-parents that want a splash of colour in their life, this option comes in a whopping nine colours! The IRIS Exercise Panel Pet Playpen spoils you for choice as far as colours go. Be it Blue, Brown, Chrome, Gray, Green, Pink, Red, White or Blue Moon; you are sure to find one that suits your space.
Another attractive characteristic of this fence is the option to make it bigger. No one likes to feel enclosed with very little room to play, including your doggie pal.
So, give them the freedom to run around and play with the two-panel add-on, trust us – your furry friend will thank you for it!
- Available in multiple colours
- Both indoor and outdoor use
- Eight panels with a two-panel add-on available
- Easy open door with double steel latches
- Plastic frame makes it less durable
- Larger dogs might tip it over
The IRIS Exercise Panel Pet Playpen is a good all-around option for your puppy fencing needs. It blends moderate durability, with a lightweight frame, and all at a modest price.
3. MidWest Foldable Metal Exercise Pen/Pet Playpen
Providing 16 square feet of enclosed space for your pooch to safely play and bounce around in, the MidWest Foldable Metal Exercise Pen is another excellent option for your pet fencing needs!
- Weight – 22.7lbs
- Material – Durable Metal Wire
- Warranty – YES, one-year manufacturer warranty
- Dimensions – Heights available: 24”, 30”, 36”, 42”, 48”, width 24.”
- Color – Black and Gold Zinc
- Why We Recommend – Available with or without a door, lightweight
It is super duper easy to set up and fold down – no tools are even necessary! This makes storage and portability a no-brainer, and it will keep your puppy or old doggo safe whether he’s indoors or outdoors.
This fence also comes in two very neutral colours that complement any space: Black and Gold Zinc. The door option will make it easy for you to let your pooch in and out of the enclosed area but if you don’t need this, a door-less option is also available.
Whether your furry friend is a teeny tiny Chihuahua or a gargantuan Great Dane, the MidWest Foldable Metal Exercise Pen comes in heights that will work for you. This fence comes in different sizes starting from a height of 24” and going all the way up to 48”.
Its unique assembly with thumb-snaps also makes it possible for you to combine two sets to create an even larger space which is ideal for multi-dog households!
- Available with or without a door
- Comes in different heights
- No tools necessary for setup
- Foldable for convenient storage
- Indoor and outdoor
- Anti-rust finish
- Includes four thumb-snaps for easy assembly
- Available in two neutral colours: Black and Gold Zinc
- Less durable than other heavy-duty options
Made from a metal wire, the MidWest Foldable Metal Exercise Pen is light and portable and benefits from a durable e-coat finish which helps to protect it against rust and the outdoor elements when used in your yard.
5. Neocraft Companion Pet Kennel, 5-1/2′
When it comes to portable fences for dogs, the Neocraft Companion Pet Kennel is one of the best options due to its easy setup and breakdown.
- Weight – 38-50lbs, depending on size
- Material – Metal
- Warranty – No
- Dimensions – 4x4x4’ / 5.5×5.5×4.5’
- Color – Reddish Brown
- Why We Recommend -Has a roof canopy to provide added safety for your pet, comes with a tote bag for carrying
It is considerably more substantial than most lighter-weight models, but it comes with a tote bag which makes travelling with it a tad easier.
This fence can be used both indoors and outdoors. Whether you are staying home or going hunting, to the beach, to the park, or camping, the Neocraft Companion Pet Kennel is going to provide a safe enclosed space for your beloved pet.
Got a climber? No problem! This portable dog fence has a roof that will stop your adorable scamp from making a run for it. Not only that, but the canopy will also help to protect them from the elements. Moreover, its robust frame will make sure that Fido doesn’t knock the whole thing over when he gets over excited!
Although this fence does not come in multiple colour choices, the earthy brown colour will blend equally well with both outdoor and indoor environments.
- 5 – 21 square feet of enclosed space, depending on size
- Comes with a roof to keep your pet safe
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Easy setup
- Can be purchased with a tote bag
- Heavier than other models
- Only one colour available
- The roof makes it impossible to add panels for more space
At a maximum of 21 square feet, the Neocraft Companion Pet Kennel provides adequate space for your pooch to remain stress-free while enclosed.
4. Penn Plax Portable Dog Fence
Does your doggie tend to figure his or her way into or out of practically anywhere? Keep that little Houdini safe with the Penn Plax Portable Dog Fence!
- Weight – 28lbs
- Material – Strong Aluminum
- Warranty – No
- Dimensions – 36” W x 25” H
- Color – Aluminum
- Why We Recommend – Durable, provides a large area for play
Equipped with a heavy-duty latch, this option will keep your pooch enclosed and perfectly safe.
Carrying heavy loads whenever you take your puppy with you to the park or beach can be a nuisance, and you might be thinking, “Great! Another thing to carry!” But this won’t be the case with the Penn Plax Portable Dog Fence as it is incredibly lightweight. At 28 lbs, it is lighter than your picnic cooler!
Plus when it’s folded it takes up hardly any space, and thanks to the customizable ability of this portable fence you can work with the area you have available. Got more than one pet? No problem; this fence is built to contain multiple furry fellows!
The Penn Plax Portable Dog Fence is also rustproof, a feature that adds to its durability.
- Robust, good quality item
- Beautiful finish
- Comes with eight pieces in total, allowing for different shape configurations
- Tough and durable, but lightweight
- More expensive than other options
- Only one colour available
When it comes to portable fences for dogs, the Penn Plax Portable Dog Fence option is not only durable, but it also looks good. It only comes in one color, but it is a fresh and neutral color that will complement most indoor spaces should you choose to set it up inside your home.
With so many options for portable fences for dogs, it is so easy to take your pooch with you wherever you go while keeping them safe from the possibility of running away, the elements and other animals.
Each of the options that we have suggested offer unique features which could work a treat for your specific needs. Whether it’s camping, or chilling at the park, or simply hanging out in your backyard, there is a solution to keeping your pet safe.
But we must say that our favourite is the Penn Plax Portable Dog Fence. It is a bit higher in cost, but the durability, ease of set-up and tear down, and it’s light frame make it a definite winner.
So what are you waiting for? Take all the worry out of keeping your doggie safe in the fresh outdoors! Purchase a portable dog fence, and all you will have left to do is relax and enjoy your time with your favourite furry friend.